Archived Story

Montevallo to begin $2.85 million downtown revitalization

Published 11:08am Monday, October 1, 2012

FROM STAFF REPORTS

MONTEVALLO – The Montevallo City Council met Sept. 28 at a special meeting to approve, among other things, two agreements with the Alabama Department of Transportation regarding improvements to Montevallo’s Main Street from West Street to Bloch Street.

A press release stated the Main Street Revitalization Project will include the following:

-Resurfacing and restriping of the existing two-lane state highway, Alabama 119.

-Relocation of aboveground utilities.

-Relocation of existing water main and other storm drain improvements.

-The upgrade or replacement of existing traffic signals to mast arms signals.

-The repair or replacement of existing sidewalks

-Installation of stamped concrete (simulated) brick pavers at intersections or pedestrian crossings.

-The installation of Americans with Disabilities Act compliant curb cuts and ramps

-Reassessment of the current parking configuration

-Installation of underground conduit and decorative street lighting

-Landscaping and other streetscape improvements.

ALDOT will fund 80 percent of this project by using funds provided by the United States Department of Transportation, Federal Highway Administration, Transportation Improvement Program. The city of Montevallo will supply the remaining 20 percent. The total project cost is estimated at approximately $2.8 million.

Construction is underway on the promenade, a pedestrian pathway linking the University of Montevallo at Oak Street to downtown and Orr Park at Island Street. The release stated city leadership expects this work to be completed by the end of 2012.

According to the release, the work along Main Street will take place over a three-year period. In 2013, the city will develop the engineering plans for the project and address the relocation of existing utilities. Construction will most likely begin in 2014.

Editor's Picks

Library welcomes Archie Wade and Magic Bunny Merlin

Now you see him, now you don’t! Experience the wonder that only a truly gifted and wonderful magician can bring. Read more