Brierfield celebrates its fire departmentPublished 2:00pm Thursday, April 11, 2013
By CATHERINE LEGG/For the Reporter
The Brierfield Fire & Rescue held its annual Recognition Banquet Saturday, April 6 at the University of Montevallo. Those men and women who have served the community as volunteer firemen or first responders were honored.
The keynote speaker for the evening was Matthew Tobia, battalion chief of Anne Arundel County, MD. Other special guests were “Dollar Bill” Lawson as emcee, State Rep. April Weaver, State Sen. Cam Ward, Director of Shelby County Development Services Ray Hamilton, State Fire Marshall Ed Paulk, Alabama Fire College Executive Director Allan Rice and Battalion Chief Timothy Lohan of New Hope, PA.
Many of the volunteers were recognized for their service. Mike Mahan, who was the first fire chief, expressed appreciation to those who served with him on the first board of directors. They were James Hood, Bill Brown, Kyle Brown, James Creel, Doug Howard, John Owen, Ray Cisco, James McClendon, and James Stephens.
Brierfield Fire Chief Spruce McRee presented several awards.
• For Years of Service – Jay Shepherd
• Best Drill Attendance – Marty Culp
• Best Call Attendance for a fireman – J T Lloyd
• Best Call Attendance for a EMT – Craig Bice
• Auxiliary Member of the Year – Sue Waters
• Firefighter Rookie of the Year – Jay Shepherd
• Bill Brown Firefighter of the Year – J T Lloyd
• EMT of the Year – Marty Culp
• Jim Seaman Chief’s Award – the Shepherd family
• Tim Lohan was given an award from Alabama Fire College for his assistance to Alabama fire departments.
Special recognition was given Robert Farrington and Ray Bice for their 35 years of service.