North Shelby Library hosts ‘Holiday Mail for Heroes’Published 9:31am Monday, November 18, 2013
FROM STAFF REPORTS
NORTH SHELBY — North Shelby Library is hosting the American Red Cross’ annual “Holiday Mail for Heroes” card signing to collect holiday greetings for U.S. service members, military families and veterans.
The library will provide the cards and postage for the public to pen holiday greetings to veterans, military families and active duty service members around the world, said children’s librarian Cecelia Dean. Cards are available for pick-up at in the library’s Children’s Department. Cards must be returned to the library by Dec. 2.
The following guidelines must be followed to ensure delivery:
- Make sure to sign your card.
- Use generic salutations such as “Dear Service Member.” Cards addressed to specific individuals cannot be delivered through this program.
- Only cards are being accepted.
- Do not include email or home addresses on the cards. The program is not meant to foster pen pal relationships.
- Do not include inserts of any kind, including photos. Any inserts will be removed during the reviewing process.
- If you choose to provide your own card, please refrain from choosing cards with glitter or using loose glitter as it can aggravate health issues of ill and injured warriors.
For more information, call (205) 439-5500.