Inmate dies in hospital

Published 12:00 am Wednesday, August 18, 2004

An inmate of the Shelby County Jail died in a hospital Monday afternoon.

Clint Arlow Morris, 20, of Shelby, died at University Hospital in Birmingham. Hospital officials notified the Shelby County Sheriff’s Office of Morris’ death Monday afternoon.

On July 25, Morris was transferred from the Shelby County Jail to Shelby Baptist Medical Center at the direction of the contract medical staff of the jail, according to sheriff’s reports.

Morris was later transferred to University Hospital, where he was listed in critical condition.

Sheriff Chris Curry released a statement Tuesday.

&uot;The Alabama Department of Forensic Sciences will conduct an autopsy at the direction of District Attorney Robby Owens who is participating in the investigation of the circumstances involving Morris. The results of that autopsy will hopefully provide answers to what caused this fatal illness.&uot;

Capt. Chris Corbell of the sheriff’s office would not comment on Tuesday.

Earlier this month, sheriff’s officials said they were investigating reports that Morris was beaten by anoter inmate and was refused medical treatment at the county jail. According to the sheriff’s officials, Morris’ family made &uot;allegations of injuries received while an inmate at the Shelby County Jail and lack of medical care.&uot;

At the time Morris was transported to Shelby Baptist Medical Center, he was released on bond. Curry said earlier this month that an investigation would determine what time Morris was arrested, jailed, transported and released on bond.

Officials reported earlier this month that Morris was booked into the Shelby County Jail on July 17 at 3:41 p.m. He was arrested without incident by a sheriff’s deputy on traffic offenses. Morris had failed to appear in court on the charges.

On July 18 at 6:30 a.m., contract medical staff at the jail examined Morris. At 12:15 p.m. on July 18, Morris got into a fight with another inmate. Jail officials called the fight &uot;not serious.&uot;

Both inmates refused medical treatment when offered, and the other inmate was moved to a different jail location, according to sheriff’s reports.

On Saturday, July 24, Morris requested medical treatment and complained of neck pain and swelling. Medical staff examined him but prescribed no medication or other treatment.

On Sunday, July 25, jail staff notified medical staff that Morris needed treatment. Medical staff evaluated morris between 7:30 and 7:50 a.m. Medical staff notified a contract physician, who authorized jail staff to transport Morris to Shelby Baptist Medical Center by patrol car.

Upon arrival, Morris refused to get out of the patrol car, according to sheriff’s reports.

&uot;Deputies had to physically remove Morris from the vehicle and place him in a wheelchair to be taken into SBMC for treatment,&uot; sheriff’s reports stated.

Members of Morris’ family disputed some of the accounts released by the sheriff’s office.

Following the incident, Curry said the actions of all jail staff and deputies were under investigation &uot;to determine if policy and procedure were properly followed.&uot;

Curry also stated that at the time, he did not see evidence that Morris sustained injury in a beating that was not properly attended to