Postseason volleyball update
By DREW GRANTHUM/Sports Editor
Volleyball teams participating in the Alabama High School Association across Shelby County competed in area and super regional tournaments Oct. 20-27. They are as follows:
– INDIAN SPRINGS: Indian Springs took on Central Coosa in the finals of the AHSAA Class 3A, Area 7 tournament. ISS took down the Cougars, 3-1, to take the area title. Margot Balliet had 29 assists, and seven aces, Stella Davis had 12 kills, four aces and 10 digs, Chloe Yeager had nine kills, seven aces and five digs, while Sonia Gueye had eight kills. Gueye, Davis and Balliet also made the all-tournament team. The win moved to 18-10 on the year with the win. Indian Springs then took on Cottage Hill in the super regionals, where they fell in three sets.
– CHELSEA: The Hornets travelled to Oxford for the Class 6A, Area 10 Championship. The Hornets opened up with Pell City in the semifinals, sweeping the Panthers. In the finals, the Hornets fell in four sets to host Oxford. For the tournament, Madison Turner had 21 kills, 35 assists, 23 digs and 11 aces. Lexie Riggins added 18 kills, five aces and nine blocks. The Hornets then moved on to the super regionals, where they fell to the Muscle Shoals Trojans in four sets.
– PELHAM: The Panthers captured the Class 6A, Area 8 tournament championship with a win over John Carroll in the finals. To get there, the Panthers dispatched of Jackson-Olin in three sets, 25-7, 25-6 and 27-5. In the finals, Pelham knocked off the Cavaliers, 3-1. After dropping the opening set, the Panthers won 25-23, 25-21 and 25-19 to capture the area crown. In the finals, Erin Hines had 18 kills, Autumn Hiett had 16 kills and 16 digs, while Hayley Brisendine had 25 digs, Emorie Long had three blocks, and Emily Jackson posted three aces and 50 assists. The Panthers clinched a spot in the AHSAA Class 6A state finals with a loss in the super regionals to John Carroll.
– BRIARWOOD: The Lions took home the AHSAA Class 6A, Area 9 championship after knocking off Homewood in the tournament finals. The Lions swept the Patriots to clinch a spot in the super regionals. The Lions then knocked off the Austin Black Bears in round one, before moving on to face Muscle Shoals in round two. Unfortunately for the Lions, the Trojans proved to be too strong, taking down the Lions in three sets, eliminating them from advancing.
– THOMPSON: The Warriors finished runner-up in the Class 7A, Area 5 finals. The Warriors took down Oak Mountain in the first round of the tournament, falling to Hoover in round two. By virtue of the runner-up finish, the Warriors moved on to the super regionals, where, unfortunately for Thompson, they were eliminated in the first round by Bob Jones in three sets.
– SPAIN PARK: The Jaguars fell in the opening round of the Class 7A, Area 6 tournament at Mountain Brook to the Vestavia Hills Rebels. By virtue of not making it to the finals, the Jaguars were eliminated from postseason contention.
– VINCENT: The Yellow Jackets finished runner-up to the Altamont School in the Class 2A, Area 9 tournament finals. By virtue of the finish, the squad made it to he super regional round in Hunstville. Unfortunately for the Jackets, they were no match for the Hatton Hornets, who eliminated Vincent with a 3-0 win.
– OAK MOUNTAIN: The Eagles fell in the opening round of the Class 7A, Area 5 tournament to Thompson eliminating them from the postseason.
– HELENA: The Huskies took a second place finish in the Class 5A, Area 7 championship, falling to Calera. The Huskies then opened super regional play with eventual super regional champ St. Paul’s, where the Huskies fell in three sets.
– CALERA: The Eagles captured the Class 5A, Area 7 championship by defeating county rival Helena in the title match in five sets, 3-2. From there, Calera squared off with eventual super regional tournament runner-up Faith Academy, where Calera fell, 3-0.
– SHELBY COUNTY: The Wildcats made the super regional round of the postseason by finishing second in the Class 5A, Area 8 tournament. In the finals of the Area 8 tournament, Shelby County fell to Sylacauga, 3-1. In the super regional round, Shelby County fell in four sets to Escambia County.
– MONTEVALLO: The Bulldogs capture the Class 4A, Area 7 championship with a win over West Blocton. In the area finals, Ashley Williams had seven kills, Hope Wilder had 10 assists and six services, Isabella Howell had nine assists, five services, 12 digs and Kaylee Smith six service aces. Wilder, Smith and Howell made the All-Tournament Team. In the first round of the super regionals, Montevallo knocked off W.S. Neal in the first round before falling to Straughn in the second round. In two super regional games, Howell had 28 assists, Williams had 11 digs and seven kills, Hope Dreyer had 16 kills, Tamera Feltcher had 12 kills and Meredith Goggins had 13 digs.