Columbiana adopts fire protection codes
Published 12:00 am Tuesday, March 23, 2004
New construction or renovation requiring a building permit in the city of Columbiana will now be subject to the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) Fire Protection Code, NFPA 1 and NFPA 101 (R), Life Safety Code (R).
The Columbiana City Council unanimously adopted the codes at its Tuesday, March 16 meeting.
According to information provided by Columbiana Fire Chief Johnny Howard, NFPA 1 is one of the most widely adopted fire codes in the United States.
It addresses basic fire prevention requirements necessary to establish a reasonable level of fire safety and property protection from the hazards created by fire and explosion.
He also reported that NFPA 101, Life Safety Code, provides minimum building design, construction, operation and maintenance requirements to protect building occupants from fire, smoke and toxic fumes.
Councilmember Tom Seale said the council approved the codes for new construction and renovations requiring a building permit and for use as a daily guide in
fire inspections for pre-fire planning.
And in a related matter, the council approved the purchase of three fire hydrants at a cost of up to $1,500 each to be installed by the Bethel Water System.
The council also set a public hearing for Tuesday, April 6 at 7 p.m. on the renewal of the Charter Cable franchise. A Charter Cable representative is tentatively scheduled to attend.
The council also approved a business license for Recycling Unlimited.
In other matters, the council:
* Proclaimed April 2004 as Columbiana Clean-Up Month.
* Proclaimed April 18-24, 2004 as National Library Week.
* Approved a payment of $70,906.71 with a retainage of $3,731.04 to R. E. Grills for downtown renovation from bond money.
* Approved the employment of Eugene Poe full-time in General Street and Sanitation at pay grade V, Step 3 at $8.48 per hour.
* Approved a release of $4,000 to Shelby County High School for girls softball field repair from $19,000 previously approved for athletic fields repair.
* Approved a donation of $2,000 to Elvin Hill Elementary for playground renovations on the recommendation of the Park and Recreation Board.
* Approved a payment of $900 to TNT for crepe myrtles.
* Approved a payment of $1,660 to Donnie Willis for improvement to the girls softball field from the $19,000 for athletic fields repair previously approved.
* Approved a transfer of $2,030.50 from the General Fund to the Library Account,
from the General Fund to Ball Park Construction in the amount of $1,341.02 and from bond money to bond disbursement in the amount of $78,000.
* Approved the use of the city credit card for Officers Griffith and Morrow to attend a school resource officer program.
* Approved a payment of $1,283.31 to Metro Gold for backstop mats at the sports complex.
* Set a work session for Tuesday, March 23 at 6 p.m. at City Hall.
The Columbiana City Council meets the first and third Tuesday of each month at 7 p.m. at City Hall. Pre council is held at 6 p.m