Calera appoints member to unexpired seat
Published 12:00 am Wednesday, May 19, 2004
Ernest Montgomery will complete the unexpired term of Winfred Jones, left vacant prematurely after Jones’ death April 7 following a long illness.
Montgomery will serve as Calera’s District 2 representative until the fall election, when he will also run for the seat. State law required the city to fill the vacant seat within 60 days.
Montgomery planned to run for District 2 in the fall, and Jones told council members he was not planning on seeking re-election.
Jones also told members of the council that he would support Montgomery in his bid for District 2 this fall. Montgomery is a member of the Calera Planning Board.
In other news from the Calera City Council:
* Council members approved a request from Police Chief Jim Finn for training. The city’s new victim services officer will attend a national training conference in Topeka, Ks. for $900. A grant will reimburse the city for the training.
* After a request, the council lowered the sales tax on automotive sales from 1.5 percent to 1 percent. Mayor George Roy said the city checked with other towns to see how the city’s rate compared.
* Council approved closing a portion of Second Street. The request came from property owners Ruth Finley and Jeff Atchison. The city owned no utilities on the property.
* Public Works Director David Jones told the council that the city’s new rules and regulations regarding garbage pickup will be sent to all city residents. The city has a new automated loading garbage truck and residents received new garbage cans.
* The council recognized the Calera High School girls and boys basketball teams for their appearance in the state final four this year.