Shelby starts strong

Published 12:00 am Tuesday, July 27, 2004

Special to the Reporter

Representing Alabama in the 2004 Senior Division of the Dizzy Dean World Series in South Haven, Miss., team Shelby has gotten off to a fast start, winning their first two games.

In game one of the tournament, Shelby pulverized Maryland 10-0, ending the game in the sixth inning due to the mercy rule.

After both teams played three scoreless innings, Shelby exploded in the fourth inning, scoring six runs.

The fourth inning began when John Adams walked and then was moved over to third on a Micah Harris double. After Stewart was hit by a pitch to load the bases, Richie Franklin’s single scored both Adams and Harris.

After Jake Garzarek walked, Blake Watkins’ double scored Stewart and Franklin.

To cap off the six-run inning, Randy Turner singled, scoring Watkins.

In the sixth inning, Shelby added four more runs.

Shelby’s four-run sixth inning began with a Watkins single and then a Wally Franklin single.

Adams was then hit by a pitch to load the bases for Harris, who walked in a run. After a Stewart single and another Richie Franklin single, Randal Lewis’ sacrifice fly scored the final run, ending the game.

To cap off Shelby’s strong hitting performance, Dusty Downs pitched six shutout innings for the winning team, striking out 10 Maryland batters.

In the second game, Shelby defeated Tennessee 7-6, who had earlier defeated Louisiana 11-10 in a 10-inning shootout.

In the first inning, Taylor Lawrence shut down Tennessee, retiring all three batters in order. In the bottom half of the inning, Watkins singled and then stole second.

After Downs walked, he also stole second. Both Downs and Watkins eventually stole third and each scored on passed balls.

With Shelby holding a 2-0 lead, Tennessee rallied in the top half of the second inning, getting five hits and five runs. In the fourth inning, Tennessee struck again with a double and a single, scoring another run to take the lead 6-2.

In the bottom of the fourth after a Harris single, Stewart was hit by a pitch, just like in game one, to load the bases. Richie Franklin then hit a triple to centerfield, scoring two runs. Franklin would later score on a passed ball.

With the score 6-5 in the fifth inning, Blake Watson’s monster solo home run brought the score back to even, 6-6.

After both teams failed to score in the sixth and Tennessee failed to score in the top half of the seventh, Shelby started its game-winning rally.

Watkins started off the inning with a walk, followed by Downs who reached base on an error. After Randy Turner’s single to right field, John Adams doubled to centerfield, knocking in the game-winning run.

Wally Franklin came in to pitch in relief for Edwards, earning him the win. Franklin pitched four innings, allowing no runs on three hits. He ended the game with two strikeouts.

Shelby’s next game is against Georgia and the tournament should conclude this week