Revis wins limited late model race at county speedway

Published 12:00 am Tuesday, May 24, 2005

Clear skies and clean racing was the scene at Shelby County Speedway Saturday night.

Going into the eighth week of the points season, drivers were eager to finish well.

Chris Revis (No. 07) started on the pole in the Hobby division with Mark Smith (No. 02) beside him. Before completing a lap, Mike Taylor (No. 76) made contact with Smith, and Taylor’s car flipped in turn one. Revis had trouble in lap three and had to go to the rear of the field, leaving Greg Wilkins (No. 01) and Smith in the first and second place positions. Smith kept close behind Wilkins but couldn’t get around him for the finish. Wilkins celebrated his first win of the season.

The Pure Stock division followed next with Larry Hatchett (No. 01) starting first. Coming from sixth place, Derrick Price (No. 02) challenged Hatchett for the lead. Wayne Spradlin (No. 17) was running up front until midway through the race when he had to leave the track with mechanical problems. By the end of the race, Johnny Carrol (No. 4) had made his way from seventh to third. Price took the win with Hatchett behind in second, and Carrol in third.

Chris George (No. 19) started first in the Pure Pony division. Kurtis Busby (No. 15) followed behind George in second, but it wasn’t long before Busby took the lead. Lenny Fowler (No. 10) was running third until he made contact with George, and Dave Harbison (No. 2) passed both cars for second. George was able to regain second and soon passed Busby for the lead. During the final lap of the race, Busby lost control of his car and spun out. George finished first with Harbison in second and Rebeka Ray (No. 7) in third.

Tony Revis (No. 72) took the pole in the Limited Late Model division with a qualifying lap time of 16.75 seconds. Robby Pierce (No. 25) started behind Revis in second. The two drivers kept their positions for a clean race.

Don Moncrief (No. 88) clearly had the fastest car in the Modified Pony division. Moncrief led the entire race. Dale McGill (No. 91) started second and kept his position until two laps to go when Joe Bearden (No. 88W) passed him. Moncrief, Bearden and McGill took the points and pay for the top three.

The Thunder and Lightning division had the most lead changes of the night. Darrell Tumlin (No. 8T) started first with Johnny Dawson (No. 42) in second, and Sandy Dawson (No. 88) in third. Two laps into the race, Johnny Dawson took the lead. Sandy Dawson moved from third to second, and kept close behind Johnny. Sandy Dawson finally took the lead and kept it for the finish. Johnny Dawson finished second with Tumlin following in third.

The Hogg division wrapped up the events for the night with Vinnie Wydmon (No. 15) starting first. Harold Hanya (No. 23) started behind Wydmon and soon passed him for the lead. Terry Bradshaw (No. 58W) started third and kept his position for the finish. Hanya, Wydmon, and Bradshaw rounded out the top three positions.

Racing continues at Shelby County Speedway next Saturday, May 28. For track information visit or call 669-6509