Church focus: Wilsonville Baptist Church
Published 12:00 am Tuesday, November 1, 2005
All denominations met for church services in the old school building which stood facing the Four Mile Road on the site which is now the Wilsonville Cemetery. In 1879, 10 to 12 Baptists asked Dr. E.B. Teague to organize the Wilsonville Baptist Church. They continued for a while to meet in the depot until a church building could be completed.
Dr. Teague was pastor from 1879-1887.
The church joined the Coosa River association the year it was organized. The Association met at the Blue Eye Church in Anniston.
In 1880, the church had grown to 60 members. A Sabbath School was organized that year.
The first children’s organization mentioned was the Wilsonville Earnest Workers in 1885. The average attendance in Sunday School that year was 25.
Wilsonville Baptist is currently pastored by Steve Thomas and has about 220 members in regular attendance. The church offers a number of activities for its members and the community to participate in including a variety of worship ministries, AWANA groups for children and adult and youth classes throughout the week. The church also participates regularly in ministries at the University of Montevallo.
Wilsonville Baptist Church’s goal today involves supporting its members and nurturing their faith.
&8220;The church’s purpose is believing in the Bible as the inspired Word of God and as authority for faith and practice,&8221; the church’s website reads. &8220;And acknowledging its adherence to all the teachings of Jesus Christ, declares its purpose.&8221;
851 N. Main St.
Wilsonville, AL 35186
PO Box 116
Wilsonville, AL 35186-0116
8:30 a.m. – Early Worship Service
9:45 a.m. – Bible Study (Sunday School)
11 a.m. – Morning Worship
6:30 p.m. Sunday Evening Worship Servic