Hornets look forward to redemption in rematch
Published 12:00 am Tuesday, November 1, 2005
And then there were 10.
It seems like only yesterday we were entering Week 1 of the high school football season, but 10 weeks of hard-fought games, big wins and tough losses have left us with an outstanding 10 teams in the AHSAA and AISA playoffs. With so many teams to talk about, I’ll make my picks short and sweet for Week 1 of the postseason.
The Chelsea Hornets welcome Moody (5-5) to town in a rematch of the first round of the 4A playoffs last year. Moody sent the Hornets home in that game and Chelsea (8-2) is out for revenge.
– Shelby County Reporter Game of the Week Prediction: Chelsea 35, Moody 12.
The Oak Mountain Eagles (7-3) host John Carroll Catholic (4-6) Friday night, one of the few teams in the playoffs with a losing record.
– Prediction: Oak Mountain 27, John Carroll 6.
The Pelham Panthers travel to face No. 2-ranked Tuscaloosa County Friday night, the only team to beat the Hoover Bucs in the last two regular seasons.
– Prediction: Tuscaloosa County 45, Pelham 17.
The Briarwood Lions (8-2) begin their quest for another 5A state title with a home game against Pleasant Grove (6-4).
– Prediction: Briarwood, 27, Pleasant Grove 3.
The Vincent Yellow Jackets (6-4) travel to face Luverne (8-2) in their first round game.
– Prediction: Vincent 14, Luverne 12.
The Calera Eagles (5-5) travel to face Highland Home (8-2) in the first round of the 2A playoffs.
The Eagles are coming off a much needed win at Fultondale after falling to Vincent in Week 9.
– Prediction: Highland Home 28, Calera 22.
The Shelby Academy Raiders (9-1) will try their hand again at winning an AISA title, starting with Lakeside Academy (8-2).
– Prediction: Shelby 44, Lakeside 18.
Kingwood (9-1) hosts Pickens Academy (6-4) Friday night with the Lions looking to improve on their best season ever.
– Prediction: Kingwood 35, Pickens 14.
The Cornerstone Chargers travel to face Lowndes Academy.
– Prediction: Lowndes 24, Cornerstone 12