Gray Power: AARP tax-aid is for local seniors

Published 12:00 am Tuesday, February 21, 2006

AARP’s Tax-Aide Program, a partnership between the AARP Foundation and the Internal Revenue Service, provides free tax counseling and preparation services to middle- and low-income taxpayers, with special attention to individuals older than age 60.

You do not need to be a member of AARP or a retiree to use this service.

The AARP Tax-Aide Program had more than 32,000 volunteers staffing 8,500 sites across the U.S. during the last tax season.

From Feb. 1 through April 15 each year, the AARP Tax-Aide program offers free one-on-one counseling as well as assistance on the telephone and Internet to help individuals prepare basic tax forms, including the 1040, 1040A, 1040EZ and other standard schedules.

So, how do you get help from AARP Tax-Aide?

AARP Tax-Aide volunteers are available through April 15 at sites throughout the state. To locate a site near you, search online or visit the AARP Alabama message board for a complete listing of sites.

AARP Tax-Aide volunteers are available and eager to answer your questions online yearround. For online tax counseling, visit

AARP Tax-Aide volunteers, trained in cooperation with the Internal Revenue Service (IRS), will offer help with personal income tax returns at the following locations in Shelby and Jefferson counties:


9 a.m. &045; 2 p.m. on Tuesdays and Thursdays

Heardmont Senior Center, 5458 Cahaba Valley Road. Call 991-9206 for information.


9 &045; 11 a.m. and 1 – 4 p.m. on Mondays and Wednesdays

Hoover Public Library, 200 Municipal Drive, Hoover. Call 444-7816 for appointment.

9 – 11 a.m. and 1 – 4 p.m. on Mondays and Thursdays

Vestavia Civic Center, 1973 Merryvale Road, Vestavia. Call 332-6610 for appointment.

9 &045; 11 a.m. and 1 &045; 4 p.m. on Wednesday

Chapel in the Pines Presbyterian Church, 2269 Chapel Road, Hoover. Call 822-4210 for appointment.

All Tax-Aide sites provide free electronic filing except where noted.

So, what should you bring when you visit an AARP Tax-Aide site?

2004 tax forms and preparation booklet

Copy of last year’s income tax returns

W-2 forms from each employer

Unemployment compensation statements

SSA-1099 form if you were paid Social Security benefits

All 1099 forms (1099-INT, 1099-DIV, 1099-misc, etc.) showing interest and/or dividends, as well as documentation showing the original purchase price of your sold assets

1099R forms if you received a pension or annuity

All forms indicating federal income tax paid

Child care provider information (name, employer ID, Social Security number)

All receipts or canceled checks if itemizing deductions

Social Security numbers for all dependents

This year, take the anxiety out of tax time &8212; visit an AARP Tax-Aide site near you.

Dr. Marvin Copes serves as a volunteer for AARP. He can be reached at