Men arrested following I-65 chase

Published 12:00 am Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Two men are facing charges of first-degree robbery after taking police officers on a chase Friday across parts of Shelby County.

Darryl Lynn Dixon and a 15-year-old Hoover High School football player have been linked to a series of robberies since November of last year, including Friday night&8217;s robbery of a title loan store, said Alabaster Police Capt. Curtis Rigney.

&8220;We are glad to get these guys off the street,&8221; Rigney said. &8220;I feel like these are not the only robberies they are responsible for.&8221;

A cashier at U.S. Title Loans on U.S. 31 called Alabaster police around 6:15 p.m. to notify them that two black males had robbed the store at gunpoint. The two attempted to make off with more than $850.

Rigney said just 10 minutes before the incident an officer had spotted a suspicious black vehicle, without a tag, driving in the area so officers had an idea of what to look for.

An officer attempted to stop the two men but they refused to pull over. The suspects proceeded to go northbound on U.S. 31 before making a turn onto Alabama 119 and then entering I-65 during afternoon rush hour traffic.

&8220;We had units waiting at the exit to Shelby 52,&8221; said Pelham police Lt. Davy Lott. &8220;I think they saw what was coming and they slammed on their brakes and took off.&8221;

Shelby County Sheriff deputies, along with Pelham and Alabaster police, apprehended the 15-year-old immediately but Dixon ran into the woods near Colonial Pipeline&8217;s tank farm. After a brief 10-to-15 minute manhunt, police had Dixon in custody as well.

The two are also linked to a Nov. 3 robbery of a Check N&8217; Go and a Feb. 2 robbery of Scott&8217;s Pawn and two women who were inside.

Dixon was charged with four counts of robbery in the first-degree while the minor was charged with three counts.

The robberies are not Dixon&8217;s first crimes. Rigney said Dixon previously spent time in jail on murder charges. Dixon currently remains in jail with bond set at $3 million dollars