Jones and Morrison join Wall of Fame
FROM STAFF REPORTS
Alabama 4-H honored two local Shelby County residents for their work with the organization by inducting them into the Alabama 4-H Wall of Fame.
John E. Jones, a retired Extension agent in Shelby County, and John Lemly “Lem” Morrison both received the honor along with 22 other honorees Feb. 28 in Auburn.
Jones organized the first 4-H horse club in Alabama in 1966, which prompted state leaders to develop a statewide horse program. Under his leadership, more than 3,500 youth participated in beef, dairy, swine and lamb projects and shows.
Jones has worked with 21 state winners in various projects and numerous state-winning 4-H livestock and dairy judging teams.
Alabama 4-H also posthumously inducted John Lemly “Lem” Morrison. Morrison served as chairman of the Alabama 4-H Club Foundation Inc., from 1963 to 1991. The Alabama 4-H Center in Columbiana exists today in part to his leadership.
When the Alabama 4-H Club Foundation organized in 1956, Morrison directed the fund drive for the center. He was inducted in the National 4-H Hall of Fame in 2002