Montevallo in an ‘Electric Frenzy’
Published 5:40 pm Friday, November 14, 2008
Only in Montevallo can someone slay evil aliens, save a distressed princess or win the Super Bowl during regular business hours.
These scenarios are literally played out at Electric Frenzy, an exclusive downtown video gaming club. Electric Frenzy is home to more than 340 video games and just about every video game console invented.
Video game enthusiasts will experience a pleasant bout of déj vu as they browse through the extensive collection of Ataris, Nintendos, Segas, PlayStations and Xboxes.
Electric Frenzy is the brainchild of Matt Mullis, a Maylene resident who wanted to provide more recreational activities for youth. Mullis said University of Montevallo students account for 40 percent of his clientele, but the remaining 60 percent live outside Shelby County.
“Believe it or not, my biggest group is from Jemison High School in Chilton County,” Mullis said.
Patrons play at hi-definition gaming stations outfitted with 32-inch flat screen monitors and black leather loungers. Each station is connected to the Internet for online play and web browsing.
In addition, Electric Frenzy has a pro-racing simulator for racing games, and a 108-inch hi-definition projector and virtual soundstage suitable for Rock Band tournaments.
Business has been steady since Electric Frenzy’s soft opening Aug. 15. Membership dues are $4 for 30 minutes, $7.50 for one hour and $20 for an all-day pass. No one under age 13 is allowed access.
“Every week is getting better and better,” Mullis said. “We have a lot of regulars that come in daily.”
Mullis said Electric Frenzy will move to a more spacious location on Main Street across from Regions Bank. The new location is slated to open Jan. 2.
Electric Frenzy’s hours are Monday-Friday from 3 p.m.-1 a.m., and Saturday from 10 a.m.-1 a.m.
For more information, call 665-5228 or visit the Web site, www.electricfrenzy.com.