Clarifying UM ROTC and credit transfers

Published 12:46 pm Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Dear Editor,

An online comment about the University of Montevallo in the Sept. 16 issue needs clarification. The person commenting on the story complained that other colleges do not accept credits from UM and that the school does not offer ROTC.

I have spent a lot of time at UM, and I do not know of any accredited college that does not accept transfer of credit from UM.

But the grades earned in those Montevallo courses do figure into the equation.

Very few colleges will accept the transfer of “D” grades, and some may accept “C” grades only conditionally — but the credit hours involved and the grade points earned (or not earned) affect the student’s grade average and may make it difficult to transfer and progress toward a degree.

A further concern involves the requirements for majors at the other school.

There may be departmental requirements beyond the general requirements for transfer of credits and there may be limitations on the total number of courses taken in specific programs.

It is the responsibility of each student to read the course catalog and know the college’s requirements.

As for ROTC, UM has long offered both Air Force and Army ROTC programs.

The Air Force program requires going to the Samford campus for the military courses, and Army cadets must go to UAB.

In both cases the number of trips is not onerous. Also in both cases the usual opportunities for ROTC scholarships are there.

Students must show initiative and apply on time — but the opportunities are there.