Shiloh UMC honors long history
Shiloh United Methodist Church celebrates 134 years
In the early 1800s, a group of settlers near the Shelby-Chilton county line built a log structure to serve as a one room school and place of worship. Destroyed by fire, another building was erected and used for worship until a sanctuary was built in 1989-1899.
The congregation named their assembly Shiloh and joined the Methodist Conference, now United Methodist Conference, in 1876. A Hebrew word meaning “to rest; tranquility,” Shiloh is a biblical term used symbolically of Jesus Christ, our provider of rest and peace.
I joined Shiloh United Methodist’s homecoming celebration, Sunday, April 25, and found they have remained true to the intent of the founding members. Though small in comparison to mega-churches built today, there is nothing small about their love and service to the world and our community.
The morning service was filled with praise and worship led by special guests, the Wilson Hill Band. A covered dish lunch followed with more singing and special music by Troy Benson.
The church vision is to foster life building transformations centered in Christ for individuals, the community and the world. The Rev. Joe Raines has led the church for five years. His wife, Chaille, serves the church along-side him as a pianist.
“The community should know we’re a traditional United Methodist Church. Anyone seeking a traditional worship service will find a home here,” Pastor Raines said.
Shiloh contributes to mission activities around the world, as well as the community.
“We give to the United Methodist Committee on Relief, now concentrating on Haiti, but we find needs in our community and take care of them.” Pastor Raines reported. “Shiloh’s Place is an excellent example.”
A project of the women’s group, residents will find used household items at a reasonable price. Shiloh’s Place is located on Woodbine Avenue, adjacent to Family Dollar.
Another project of the women’s group is a historical cookbook, Shiloh Heritage. It will contain recipes from present and past generations, as well as historical facts about the church. Advance orders can be placed for a $25 donation by calling.
Myrna Wood, church secretary, is instructing a free computer course on Microsoft Excel and Publisher at 7 p.m., May 3 – 24; laptops are provided.
The church is located three miles south of Calera on County Road 95. Sunday services include Bible study at 9:30 a.m., and worship at 10:30.
Mollie Brown can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.