Warriors top Eagles to reach title game

Published 10:30 pm Monday, December 20, 2010

Thompson High School forward Jaylon Jones looks for an open teammate in the Warriors' 73-66 win over Calera in the Shelby County tournament semifinals Dec. 20. (Reporter Photo/Wesley Hallman)

By WESLEY HALLMAN / Sports Editor

MONTEVALLO — Thompson High School boys’ basketball coach Patrick Davis wasn’t surprised to see Calera hang around in the second half of a semifinal matchup Dec. 20 in the Shelby County tournament.

With Calera junior guard Deondre Haynes in the game, Davis knew the Eagles would put up a fight inside BankTrust Arena on the University of Montevallo campus.

However, Davis knew he had an answer in the form of his own junior guard, Demarcus Threatt.

Threatt scored a game-high 26 points to lead the Warriors to a 73-66 win over the Eagles. The victory, which was the Warriors’ second win over Calera this season, clinched a spot in the Shelby County tournament championship game.

The agressive Threatt came up with 21 points on big baskets and free throws in the second half to hold off the Eagles.

“We knew we had to attack the rim,” Davis said. “Layups and free throws win games. Demarcus is the best we’ve got at getting to the rim.”

Thompson will meet Briarwood Christian School in the championship game Dec. 21 at 6 p.m.

Jaylon Jones added 14 points for the Warriors, who improved to 9-5.

Ryan Coleman added nine points. Kenny Nabors chipped in eight points.

Titus Adams led Calera (10-3) with 21 points.

Ronnie Clark added 14 points. Haynes finished with 13 points. Payton Sumrall added eight points.

The Warriors, which held a 10-point lead following a Threatt 3-pointer in the first quarter, took a 33-31 advantage into the locker room at halftime following a floater by Elisha Neville at the buzzer.

Calera took its first lead of the game, 42-41, at the 4:24 mark in the third quarter following a steal and a breakaway dunk by Haynes. The Eagles led by as many as five points in the third quarter following a layup by Sumrall.

However, three free throws by Threatt and a 3-pointer at the buzzer by Coleman gave Thompson a 53-50 lead entering the fourth quarter.

Calera rallied to tie the game at 57-57 following a layup by Sumrall. Threatt put the game on ice with a layup and 3-pointer back-to-back to push the lead to five points midway through the fourth quarter.