County’s Yellow Dot program starts strong, organizer says
By BRAD GASKINS / Staff Writer
About 400 people in Shelby County have registered for the Yellow Dot Program, which launched here a month ago.
Shelby County is the 23rd county in the state to join the program, according to Marvin Copes, coordinator for Shelby County RSVP, or a Program of Positive Maturity.
Copes said the goal is to register 10,000 people in Shelby County.
The program was created to assist citizens during automobile accidents, when they might not be able to communicate for themselves.
The program targets mostly senior citizens, but anyone may participate.
Four items are needed to participate: a photo, a completed personal information sheet, a Yellow Dot car decal and a Yellow Dot folder for the glove box.
After an accident, emergency responders are trained to look for the decal on the window. If a decal is present, responders then look in the glove box for the information sheet.
Copes said he’s received positive feedback from people registering for the program.
“They look at it and basically say they don’t know why everyone doesn’t sign up,” Copes said. “It’s for their safety. There’s no charge for it. They’re basically saying that everyone needs to be involved. Seniors are now taking it to their children.”
This week, Shelby County RSVP held special registration sessions at the Calera and Pelham senior centers. In coming weeks, Copes said, special registration sessions will be held at other senior centers throughout the county.
Shelby County enrollment centers include:
- Shelby County RSVP, 108 W. College Street, Room 122, Columbiana
- Calera Fire Rescue, 1310 17th Ave., Calera
- North Shelby Fire Department, 4619 Valleydale Road, Birmingham 35242
- Wilsonville City Hall, 9905 N. Main St., Wilsonville
- Krista Rogers, Agent, State Farm, 100 Colonial Promenade Parkway, Alabaster
- Anthony Barryman, Agent, State Farm, 149 Buck Creek Plaza, Suite F, Alabaster
- T.K. Smith, Agent, State Farm, 1500 Southlake Park, Suite 100, Birmingham 35244
- Jami Noe, Agent, State Farm, 100 Hampton Center, Calera
- Chester Lewis, Agent, State Farm, 16641 U.S. 280, Chelsea
- Ron Carroll, Agent, State Farm, 33594 Hwy. 280, Childersburg
- Craig Dorris, Agent, State Farm, 407 W. College St., Columbiana
- Rick Rodgers, Agent, State Farm, 2324 John Hawkins Parkway, Hoover
- Bob Butterworth, Agent, State Farm, 609 Main St., Montevallo
- Larry McIntosh, Agent, State Farm, 2685 Pelham Parkway, Pelham
- Ken Taylor, Agent, State Farm, 160 Inverness Corner, Birmingham, 35242
- Brooklere Health Mart Pharmacy, 205 Buck Creek Plaza, Alabaster
- Victory GMC, 1150 George Roy Parkway, Calera
Shelby County RSVP also schedules enrollment dates. To schedule a Yellow Dot time, contact Copes at 669-3837.