Chilton County takes down Wildcats

Published 12:41 am Saturday, September 14, 2013

Chilton County's Keshun Whilte escapes Shelby County's Keyvontae Mayfield during a Sept. 13 matchup. (Reporter Photo/Drew Granthum)

Chilton County’s Keshun Whilte escapes Shelby County’s Keyvontae Mayfield during a Sept. 13 matchup. (Reporter Photo/Drew Granthum)


For most of the first half, it looked as if the Shelby County-Chilton County Sept. 13 game was shaping up to be a shootout.

In a matter of seconds — literally — it all changed as CCHS used two miscues from Shelby County to help take a 35-14 win.

The game opened in bizarre fashion, with Chilton County taking the ball, then racking up two illegal procedure calls to move back 10 yards. Shelby County then was called for encroachment.

When the first play actually happened, it resulted in a touchdown pass, as Trenton Bishop hit Davre Williams for a 56-yarder. The Stephen Horn extra point was good for 7-0 CCHS lead with 11:41 left in the first.

On SCHS’s first drive, Ty Proctor was picked off by Keandre Binion on the Chilton County 5-yard line. The Tigers’ drive stalled, and Shelby County forced a blocked punt to set up first and goal on the CCHS 1.

Proctor kept the ball two plays later for a score, and Aldo Jones tied the game at 7-7 with the extra point.

CCHS used an eight-play drive to score on a Tyler Henderson run. Horn tacked on the extra point to make 14-7 with 7:05 left in the first.

Both teams traded punts, with Shelby County’s Marterius McGregor returning one for a touchdown. Jones added another extra point to make it 14-14 with 1:13 left in the first.

Neither team seemed to be able to get anything going until Chilton put together a 13-play drive that ended when Bishop hit Binion on a 15-yard touchdown pass. Horn missed the extra point, and CCHS led 20-14 with 57 seconds remaining in the half.

On the ensuing kickoff, SCHS muffed the return, with Chilton County recovering. On the first play from scrimmage, Bishop hit Austin Hatch for a 16-yard score. The two-point conversion was good, making it 28-14 with 50 seconds remaining.

SCHS again muffed the kickoff, as Chilton County recovered on the Shelby County 29-yard line.

The Tigers got all the way to the 4-yard line before time ran out in the half.

Chilton County scored once more in the second half on a Jakevious Boswell run, and Horn’s final extra point of the night made it 35-14 with 4:55 in the third.

Neither team scored again, and CCHS took home the 35-14 win.

“They just played better,” said head coach Brent Smith. “They ran the ball and threw the ball. They had a height advantage, and took advantage of it.”

The Wildcats will travel to Briarwood to face the Lions Sept. 20.