Chelsea loses heartbreaker to Wetumpka in 3OT

Published 1:32 am Saturday, October 12, 2013

Chelsea's Taylor Martindale reaches out to block a field goal in a 48-45 loss to Wetumpka Oct. 11. The game went into three overtimes. (Contributed/Cari Dean)

Chelsea’s Taylor Martindale reaches out to block a field goal in a 48-45 loss to Wetumpka Oct. 11. The game went into three overtimes. (Contributed/Cari Dean)

By ANTHONY WATSON/Wetumpka Herald

WETUMPKA — After suffering a heartbreaking loss in double overtime last week against Pelham, the Indians (3-4, 2-3 Class 6A Region 4) brought a Hollywood sequel to the fans in Wetumpka Friday night, beating the Chelsea Hornets (2-5, 0-5) 48-45 in a triple overtime homecoming thriller.

Chelsea put up 21 unanswered points on the Indians within the first four minutes of the game.

Jacob Green left flames in his wake when he burned down the field for a 94-yard return for a touchdown on the opening kickoff. Then a recovered onside kick gave Chelsea prime real estate in Wetumpka territory. Hornet quarterback Trent Hagin connected with Austin Washington for a 26-yard touchdown strike.

Another special teams mishap on the ensuing kickoff gave the Hornets red zone access, which Washington took advantage of tallying the total to 21 points with 8:34 in the first quarter.

The Indians chugged along the field thanks to a power combo of junior running back Montivenus Cross and senior wide receiver Charlie Crenshaw.

Crenshaw hammered in the end zone for his first touchdown run of the night.

Will Digmon finished business with the go-ahead extra point, making it 21-7 with 6:30 in the first quarter.

Another tag-team duo showed up to play, too

Hagin and Washington ripped down the field in an aerial and ground assault that started from their own 17-yard line, and ended with a 44-yard Washington touchdown run.

Crenshaw raised him six by walking in the end zone on a 2-yard run four minutes later.

The Wetumpka and Chelsea defenses were done giving up points in the first half, each punting on several drives. They went into halftime with the Hornets leading 28-14.

The third quarter read exactly like the second, but the fourth is where the magic happened.

Monti Cross edged the gap for the Tribe with a 1-yard run. He ran for 110 yards on the night, but he wasn’t done with the touchdowns.

The Wetumpka defense held firm, forcing a punt that Cross capitalized on with a 32-yard run, visiting the end zone for his second and final time, tying it 28-28.

The Hornets drove down the field all the way to the Wetumpka 20-yard line until Crenshaw snatched Hagin’s pass out of the sky and drove it 66 yards deep in the Hornets nest.

With seven seconds left in the game Hornet defensive back Taylor Martindale came up big when he blocked the Indians’ field goal attempt, forcing the first overtime.

For the next two overtimes both teams played touchdown tag, upping the score to 42-42.

After holding the Hornets to a field goal, Crenshaw put the final nail in the coffin with a touchdown, making it a 48-45 final.

Overall he scored four touchdowns and racked up 195 yards and an interception on the night.