No injuries reported in Inverness Country Club fire

Published 11:04 am Wednesday, March 26, 2014

By CASSANDRA MICKENS / Associate Editor

HOOVER — No injuries were reported after a fire broke out at Inverness Country Club March 25.

The Hoover Fire Department received a fire alarm activation call at about 9:30 p.m., after the club closed for the day. When firefighters arrived at the scene, they discovered a fire on the loading dock. The blaze spread to the wall and roof on the east side exterior of the building, Hoover Fire Department Executive Director Rusty Lowe said in a news release.

As the blaze spread to the attic, the fire sprinklers activated and prevented further damage. Crews extinguished the fire with assistance from the North Shelby Fire District.

“The fire was under control within 15 minutes,” Lowe said.

Fire damage was limited to the building exterior and roof, Lowe said. The attic and part of the building’s interior sustained water damage.

Lowe said it appears the cause of the fire is accidental, but an investigation is ongoing. The club installed a new fire suppression system in the building after the former clubhouse was destroyed in a 2007 fire.

“When the clubhouse was rebuilt, it was built to current code that required the modernized fire suppression system,” Lowe said. “Had it not been for the sprinklers the fire might have spread extensively throughout the attic.”

The Inverness Country Club is located at 1 Country Club Drive.