The church tradition continues
By SANDRA THAMES / Community Columnist
In 1857 when the original Elliottsville Cumberland Presbyterian Church was built (a log building), the community surrounding it was forest and farmland.
Originally, the church was known as the Henry Ewing church. In 1897 the church was renamed “Elliottsville” in honor of the community and the farming folks who lived in the area. Members may have lived at Crossroads, Pea Ridge, Aldrich, Saginaw, Siluria, Alabaster and other small rural communities.
Vacation Bible School is an area of church life which diversifies Christian principles and learning.
Any child can benefit from the basic teachings of the Bible and the word of God. VBS is open to the public, all races and ethnic groups, whether members of the church or not.
Some activities at this year’s event included Bible stories, skits, scripture reading, games, scientific experiments (thanks Michelle McCrory), Kid Vid, songs, dances and one-on-one, up close and personal contact with snakes, hamsters and dogs. Backdrops, scenery and sound were realistic with more than 40 children (some teens) participating.
Director for this year was Lynda Rosso, who quickly gives accolades to teachers, aides, the “cook crew,” sound management, artists, guests and everyone who in any way contributed to the success of 2014 VBS.
Perhaps our dress code has changed and our modern amenities have improved, but one could also sense the approval of the late Grace Posey, Nina Kent, Frances Butler, Lavada Harper, Sara Buckner and many other saints as First Presbyterian Church of Alabaster (aka Elliottsville) rocked with laughter, love and instruction.
The chimes rang at noon on Friday, and it was with great reluctance that the kids left what had been a church home and place of acceptance and love for one week of their summer.