Alabaster tears down trio of dilapidated houses
By NEAL WAGNER / Managing Editor
ALABASTER – A trio of houses previously declared public safety hazards off Sixth Avenue Southeast in Alabaster have been torn down, and the city will decide in September if it will place the demolition expenses as liens against the property.
During its Aug. 18 meeting, the Alabaster City Council set public hearings for Sept. 15 on the properties, which are at 434 Sixth Ave. SE, 440 Sixth Ave. SE and 454 Sixth Ave. SE. The council’s Sept. 15 meeting will begin at 7 p.m. at Alabaster City Hall.
The houses were slightly east of the Shelby County Instructional Services Center off U.S. 31.
In March, the City Council voted unanimously to demolish the three residences, and gave the property owner until mid-April to appeal the city’s decision before crews began tearing the houses down.
Because the property owner did not bring the houses up to city code or demolish them before the city’s appeal deadline, Alabaster covered the cost of tearing down and clearing the three structures.
Alabaster City Attorney Jeff Brumlow said it cost the city about $17,500 to demolish and clear the homes, and said the city is looking to place the amount as a lien against the property. All three homes were on the same piece of property, and were owned by the same person.
During public hearings on the houses before the City Council’s vote in March, Stevie Hawkins, who said he lived at 434 Sixth Ave. SE, said he opposed the city demolishing the houses, and asked council members to delay action on the trio of residences.
After the March public hearing, Alabaster City Manager George Henry said the city reached out to Hawkins and attempted to put him in contact with charity organizations. When asked about Hawkins, the owner of the property said she was unaware he was living in one of the houses, Henry said.