Oak Mountain takes nailbiter over Mountain Brook

Published 2:41 am Saturday, October 11, 2014

Oak Mountain's Warren Shader runs away from the Mountain Brook defense in a 27-24 win Oct. 10. (Contributed/Barry W. Clemmons)

Oak Mountain’s Warren Shader runs away from the Mountain Brook defense in a 27-24 win Oct. 10. (Contributed/Barry W. Clemmons)

By JOSH ETHRIDGE/For the Reporter

MOUNTAIN BROOK — The Oak Mountain High Eagles faced off in a tightly contested game against the Mountain Brook High Spartans on Oct. 10. The hosting Eagles came away with a last-minute victory defeating the Spartans 27-24.

On their first drive, Oak Mountain ate over seven minutes off the clock on their way to their first touchdown of the day. The points came on a run by quarterback Warren Shader. A blocked extra point made the score 6-0.

Mountain Brook responded by marching the ball down to the Oak Mountain three-yard line, but an ineligible receiver downfield forced them to attempt and connect on a field goal. The score at the end of the first quarter was 6-3 Oak Mountain.

With five minutes left in the half, the Eagles added another touchdown to their total on a 34-yard run by Daniel Salchert. However, the Spartans responded two minutes later on a touchdown catch by receiver John Eagan. With three minutes left in the half the Eagles held a three-point advantage.

Mountain Brook put together another touchdown drive as the clock expired for halftime. The Spartans held a 17-13 lead at the break.

The first points scored in the second half came at the end of the third quarter as Oak Mountain’s Warren Shader ran in his second touchdown of the day. They held a 20-17 lead at the start of the fourth quarter.

Following the score by the Eagles, the game took an hour recess as a result of lightning in the area.

Coming out of the delay, Oak Mountain had possession of the ball, but they were not able to put together a successful drive. It was a different story for the Spartans. Mountain Brook drove the ball 79-yards, taking back the lead with six minutes left in the game.

Trailing 24-20 with less than a minute left in the game, the Eagles had one more shot at a comeback. A 29-yard catch by Rob Piper set them up in the redzone and four plays later they found themselves in the endzone. A 1-yard run by Harold Shader put the dagger in the Spartans, making the final score 27-20.

“Any time you win it gives you confidence and the ability to come back there at the end is huge,”said Oak Mountain head coach Chris Bell after the game. “We just told the kids to go out there, keep pounding the rock, and we will do good.”

Oak Mountain will resume action when it travels to Spain Park Oct. 17.