Coosa Valley falls in season finale

Published 2:53 am Saturday, November 1, 2014

The Chambers Academy defense converges on Coosa Valley's rushing attack in an Oct. 31 contest. (Reporter Photo/Drew Granthum)

The Chambers Academy defense converges on Coosa Valley’s rushing attack in an Oct. 31 contest. (Reporter Photo/Drew Granthum)

By DREW GRANTHUM/Sports Editor

HARPERSVILLE — It wasn’t the end the Coosa Valley Rebels hoped for, but the 2014 season finale had moments that indicate a promising future for the program.

The Rebels were admittedly outmatched by Chambers Academy, as injuries and illness have reeked havoc on the squad this season, leaving CVA with just 14 players able to take the field.

That said, the squad went down swinging in a 36-21 loss to the opposing Rebels.

Chambers quickly established its dominance, racing out to a 16-0 lead at the 8:10 mark in the first quarter. Coosa Valley struggled to get anything going, turning the ball over by way of fumble or failure to convert on each of its ensuing possessions as Chambers opened up a 30-0 lead by the end of the first quarter.

The Chambers Rebels held on to that advantage, taking the 30-lead into the locker room.

Both teams came out for the second half with searing, strong winds gusting across the field as the temperature began to plummet.

Chambers scored after CVA went three-and-out to begin the second half, extending its lead to 36-0 after a missed extra point.

Just as it appeared CVA would fold under the Chambers’ defense, the Rebels roared to life.

Pinned on their own five, the Rebels turned to Saylor Carroll, who broke a 95-yard run for a touchdown to snap the shutout. The two-point conversion was good, and the Rebels trailed, 36-8.

Blake Hardin then stepped up, picking off a Chambers pass to give CVA the ball at the Chambers 36. Coosa Valley then put together a drive, capped off when Chris Malone scored on a 3-yard run for a touchdown. The Miles Sharp extra point was good, and the Rebels trailed 36-15.

With the clock on continuous run due to AISA rules, the Rebels forced a Chambers punt and took the ball over with just seconds remaining around midfield.

As time expired, quarterback Mason Houston stood in the pocket and delivered a strike to Rowe Frederick, who sped away from the defense and registered the 21st unanswered point of the contest for CVA.

The score was the final of the contest, as the host Rebels fell 36-21.

First-year head coach Bob Taylor said he was proud of his team’s effort.

“They played hard,” he said. “We’ve been put through as much adversity as any group could with injuries, sickness, a new system, new coaches, and they’ve continued to fight. We’re trying to lay the foundation for what we’re trying to get to.  It’s not what we wanted, but you’ve got to go through a little adversity to get yourself better. That was a good way for us to end the second half, with those kids having the opportunity to score.”

Stats were unavailable at press time for the Rebels, who finished the season 0-10. Check for updates.