Man faces 22 charges after police chase

Published 10:50 am Monday, December 29, 2014

Several police and Sheriff's Office vehicles chase a suspect's vehicle near the intersection of Alabama 119 and U.S. 31 in Alabaster on the night of Nov. 25. (Contributed/Jason Eddings)

Several police and Sheriff’s Office vehicles chase a suspect’s vehicle near the intersection of Alabama 119 and U.S. 31 in Alabaster on the night of Nov. 25. (Contributed/Jason Eddings)

By NEAL WAGNER / Managing Editor

COLUMBIANA – A 27-year-old Wilsonville man is facing 22 criminal charges after he allegedly led multiple law enforcement agencies on a chase through several cities during a Nov. 25 vehicle chase.



The Shelby County Sheriff’s Office arrested Matthew Roland Oakes, who lists an address in the 500 block of Shelby County 5 in Wilsonville, on Dec. 28 and charged him with several charges related to the pursuit.

Oakes is facing one count of first-degree criminal mischief, two counts of reckless endangerment, two counts of second-degree criminal mischief, one count of third-degree criminal mischief, one count of second-degree unlawful possession of marijuana, one count of fleeing or attempting to elude a law enforcement officer, one count of giving a false name or address to a law enforcement officer, five counts of running a stop sign, one count of causing an accident involving injuries, two counts of running a red light, one count of driving with a suspended license, one count of speeding and three traffic violations.

At about 5:45 p.m. on Nov. 25, Shelby County Sheriff’s Office deputies and Alabaster police officers attempted to initiate a traffic stop of vehicle in Alabaster when the suspect allegedly fled the scene in his Jeep.

After the suspect fled the scene of the traffic stop, Alabaster, Pelham and Helena police officers joined the chase, which eventually led into the Dearing Downs neighborhood in Helena.

After the suspect abandoned his vehicle near the area of Secretariat Circle and Seattle Slew Drive in the Dearing Downs neighborhood, he fled the scene on foot, launching a search of the area.

At about 10 p.m. on Nov. 26, law enforcement called off the search, but were able to identify the suspect and issue a warrant for his arrest.

As of Dec. 29, Oakes was being held in the Shelby County Jail on bonds totaling $23,700.