Oak Mountain falls in defensive slog

Published 11:31 am Wednesday, December 9, 2015

Gabe Haynes goes up for a layup against Homewood's CD Daniels during the Eagles' Dec. 8 matchup at Homewood. (For the Reporter / Dawn Harrison)

Gabe Haynes goes up for a layup against Homewood’s CD Daniels during the Eagles’ Dec. 8 matchup at Homewood. (For the Reporter / Dawn Harrison)

By BAKER ELLIS / Sports Editor

HOMEWOOD – No team scored more than 14 points in any one quarter during Oak Mountain’s Dec. 8 matchup at Homewood. The Eagles, who came into the game sporting a 5-3 record, played Homewood tight the entire game, but came up just short by a final of 41-35.

Oak Mountain only scored from behind the three-point line in the first quarter. Will Stephenson, Wyatt Armstrong, Yeadon Patrick and Payton Youngblood each hit a triple as the Eagles took a 12-6 advantage into the second period. However, Oak Mountain cooled off significantly in the second period and only managed four points, two from Youngblood and two from Kris Hutchins, while Homewood went on a 14-4 run that encompassed the whole quarter to take a 20-16 lead headed into the break.

The third quarter was more of the same for Oak Mountain, as the Eagles struggled to find any offensive rhythm. Youngblood knocked down two more threes in the quarter, but the only other Eagle to score in the third was Armstrong, who had three points off an and-one bucket and free throw. However Homewood did not light the scoreboard on fire offensively in the third quarter and only managed 10 points, which was enough to extend its lead as the Patriots took a 30-25 lead into the fourth quarter.

The final period saw the most parity on offense for Oak Mountain, as five players got involved. Down by just three with 40 seconds left, the Eagles had a chance to tie the game and force overtime, but instead fouled Homewood and let the game slip away by a final of 41-35.

Oak Mountain returns to action on Dec. 10 against Chelsea High School at home.