Montevallo beats Golden Bears in finals of Miles College Classic

Published 11:58 am Monday, December 14, 2015

Terrell Lipkins helped to lead Montevallo to a close win over Miles College on Dec. 12. (Contributed)

Terrell Lipkins helped to lead Montevallo to a close win over Miles College on Dec. 12. (Contributed)


BIRMINGHAM – Montevallo overcame a one-point deficit at halftime on its way to a 87-83 win over the host Golden Bears in the final game of the Miles College Classic.

The largest lead by either team in the first half was five points, with both the Falcons and the Golden Bears leading by five on separate occasions in the first 20 minutes.

Senior Tevin Worthy knocked down a jumper from the baseline with just over seven minutes remaining in the opening half to give Montevallo a 24-19 lead, marking the Falcons’ largest lead in the first half.

Maiscei Grier made a pair of free throws with 4:06 left in the half, which allowed Miles to tie the contest at 28-28.

Worthy made a jumper at the free-throw line with 45 seconds remaining in the half, which gave the Falcons a 34-31 lead. Miles closed the half with a 5-1 run, capped with a 3-pointer by Grier with just two seconds remaining, to carry a 36-35 lead into the locker room at halftime.

The Falcons opened the second half with a 8-2 run, capped with a feed from senior Bryant Orange to fellow senior Terrell Lipkins underneath the basket for a layup, as they jumped out to a 43-38 lead with early in the second half.

A layup by Orange off an assist from Lipkins with 15:30 remaining in the game gave Montevallo a 49-40 lead, which marked the Falcons’ largest lead in the contest.

A basket by Hasain Bunnell capped a 14-7 run by the Golden Bears and trimmed the Falcons’ lead to 56-54 with 10:15 remaining in the game.

A three-pointer by sophomore Vaughn Autry moments later marked the beginning of a 12-3 run as Montevallo began to take control of the game. Junior Kevin Kelly made a runner in the lane off the backboard with just over seven minutes left to give the Falcons a 68-57 lead, marking their first double-digit lead in the contest.

A three-pointer by Grier with 3:42 remaining helped the Golden Bears trim the deficit to 68-66. However, a quick 5-0 run by Lipkins moments later capped an 8-2 run by the Falcons and pushed the lead to 76-68.

Worthy grabbed an offensive board and put it back in to give the Falcons a 79-69 lead with just more than one minute remaining in the game. The Golden Bears managed to make it a one-possession game down the stretch before the Falcons closed out the victory with a free throw by Kelly.