Hoover Council accepts $2.36 million bid for sportsplex site and foundation package
By MOLLY DAVIDSON / Staff Writer
HOOVER—The Hoover City Council approved another multimillion dollar step in project to build a city sports complex during a May 2 City Council meeting.
The council voted to accept a $2.36 million bid for a site and foundation package from Rabren General Contractors, Inc.
An invitation to bid was posted on the city of Hoover website and mailed to 165 vendors. Five contractors returned bids by 3 p.m. on April 27. The more than $2 million bid from Rabren General Contractors represented the lowest bid meeting all requirements.
Although Rabren General Contractors has not done any previous work for the city, Hoover Executive Director Allen Pate said the city’s construction manager was confident Rabren General Contractors was “fully qualified to do the work.”
“(The Hoover) construction manager and architect have both worked with them and speak highly of (Rabren General Contractors),” Rate said.
The Hoover Council accepted the bid with a five to one vote, with Councilman John Green voting against it.
The City Council previously accepted a more than $3.37 million bid from Dunn Building Company, LLC. for a pre-engineered metal building for the Hoover Sportsplex event center during an April 4 meeting.
Merchant Capital, LLC., Raymond James and Piper Jaffray will serve as underwriters for the upcoming bond issue for the sportsplex and Kipling Jones and Co.,5-18 H LTD. Will serve as the financial advising team.
The Hoover Sportsplex will cost an estimated $70 million and will be built on nearly 21 acres of land behind Trace Crossings Elementary School between the Hoover Met and Hoover High School.
The Cahaba Valley Elks recognized five students from the Shelby County area. Front row: Logan Burnett, Monica Perkins and Nealy... read more