Helena Summer Reading Program kicks off June 8
Published 3:46 pm Tuesday, May 24, 2016
By GRAHAM BROOKS / Staff Writer
HELENA–Schools are closing for the summer, which means a busy time for the Jane B. Holmes Public Library and the kickoff of the weekly Summer Reading Program.
The Helena Summer Reading Program will kickoff on Wednesday, June 8 at Helena City Hall with a program at 10:30 a.m. and 2 p.m. with music provided by Mark Seymour.
The theme for this year’s program is “On your mark, get set… Read!” and registration is free and begins Wednesday, June 1 at 10 a.m.
The summer reading program will last seven weeks and participants will be eligible for prizes the more books they read.
The schedule for the summer reading program is as follows:
- June 1–Registration–10 a.m.
- June 8–Kickoff with music from Mark Seymour–10:30 a.m. and 2 p.m.
- June 15–McWane Center Program–10:30 a.m. and 2 p.m.
- June 22–Alabamians in the Olympics, an interactive program–2 p.m.
- June 29–Visit with the fire department–2 p.m.
- July 6–Visit with the police department–2 p.m.
- July 13–Summer reading close out celebration–2 p.m.
In addition to the summer reading program, the Jane B. Holmes library will also host story time ever Tuesday and Thursday at 11 a.m.