Shelby County Schools implements online registration

Published 11:41 am Tuesday, March 28, 2017


COLUMBIANA–The Shelby County School district is implementing a new online registration process for the upcoming 2017-2018 school year using an enrollment program called SchoolMint.

Parents of students who are new to the system, including kindergarten students, will use SchoolMint to enroll their children as well as parents of current students will use the program to register their children for the next school year.

Parents can complete the SchoolMint forms from anywhere, but they will still need to come to their child’s school to bring required documents and pay fees.

Parents should plan to do this during scheduled enrollment/registration events. For more information, visit

By using the SchoolMint program, forms can be completed from most any online device, including smartphones and parents will no longer have to print out forms to bring to the school.

This means parents will spend less time at the school registration events than in past years and for returning students, some information will be pre-filed, so that parents can confirm correct information and change outdated information.

SchoolMint is a secure website; however, Shelby County Schools advises parents to never transmit private information over public Wi-Fi networks such as those found in restaurants or other public spaces.

Parents of new kindergarten students may begin using SchoolMint enrollment forms on March 13. Instructions and the link to SchoolMint will be posted on the school district website.

Enrollment forms are for students who are new to the school system only. Parents should not use enrollment forms for returning students.

Parents of returning students will receive instructions from their child’s school in mid-April and can begin using SchoolMint to register their child at that time.

Parents of new enrolling students who will be in grades 1–12 can begin using the SchoolMint enrollment forms beginning in April.

Additional emails will be sent to keep parents informed throughout the coming weeks, according to the district.

For parents enrolling a kindergarten student, the district encourages parents to check the transportation website to be sure and know which school the child should attend and to complete the enrollment forms before coming to the school event before using SchoolMint.

If parents are unable to complete the enrollment forms before the school event, schools will have computer stations available.

Parents can plan to attend a kindergarten pre-enrollment event on either of the following days:

–April 5 from 7-11 a.m.

–April 6 from noon-6 p.m.

The following are documents needed for student enrollment
at Shelby County Schools:

–Enrolling parent or legal guardian must present a photo ID

–Proof of age (i.e. birth certificate)

–Valid Alabama Immunization Form (referred to as a “Blue Form)

–Proof of residence–all parents/legal guardians will be required to provide two of the following current residence verification documents prior to the start of the new school year.

–Recent mortgage statement

–Property deed–parent/legal guardian must reside full-time in the residence

–Property tax record–most recent tax record should indicate this as your primary residence (

–Apartment Lease–at the minimum, the parent/legal guardian must be listed as an occupant

–Recent utilities–power, water or gas bill listed in the name of the parent/legal guardian with service address listed

–Proof of custody (if applicable, a copy of the court order must be supplied to the school)

–Social Security number (voluntary)–Disclosure of the child’s Social Security number is voluntary. If a parent elects not to provide an SSN, a temporary identification number will be generated and utilized instead. The child’s SSN is being requested for use in conjunction with enrollment in school as provided in Alabama Administrative Code §290-3-1-.02(2)(b)(2). It will be used as a means of identification in the statewide student management system.

–Each student wishing to enroll into Shelby County Schools must present an up-to-date Alabama Certificate of Immunization (COI) or an Alabama medical or religious exemption. All Certificates of Immunization must contain the dates of all vaccines given.