Firefighters rescue animals from structure fire

Published 11:47 am Tuesday, June 20, 2017

HARPERSVILLE – Harpersville firefighters rescued three pets from a burning home on Friday, June 16.

Firefighters responded to a fire at a mobile home off Ritchey Court at about 7:40 p.m. on June 16.

Upon arrival, it appeared the kitchen area was on fire, and a lot of smoke was pouring from the residence, according to Heath Confer, lead worker with Harpersville Fire Department.

Firefighters were told there was possibly a person and animals inside the residence.

“The neighbor said that they had animals inside,” Confer said. “The homeowner wasn’t there. We had reports of a possible male being in the residence as well, so we were going in anyway. The fire conditions weren’t too bad.”

Firefighters found two dogs and one kitten in a room inside.

“The room they were in, the door was left open so there was smoke halfway in the room, but they were low to the ground so they were out of the smoke conditions,” Confer said.

The animals did not require any treatment once removed from the home.

A police officer who responded to the scene required treatment for smoke inhalation, Confer said, as firefighters had the blaze under control in about 15 minutes.

Westover and Vincent fire departments also responded to the fire.