Alabaster firefighters rescue dog from house fire
By NEAL WAGNER / Managing Editor
ALABASTER – A canine companion is healthy and happy after it was rescued from a house fire by Alabaster firefighters on the morning of Oct. 3.
The Alabaster Fire Department received a call at about 11 a.m. reporting a fire in the 100 block of Winterhaven Drive off Thompson Road after a neighbor saw smoke coming from the residence and dialed 911.
“They did the exact right thing when they saw smoke and immediately dialed 911,” said Alabaster Fire Chief Jim Golden. “That enabled us to get to the scene quickly, assess the situation and minimize the damage to the house.”
When firefighters arrived, they noticed heavy smoke emanating from the home’s eaves, and immediately entered the house to determine if anyone was inside the structure.
Firefighters determined nobody was inside the house, but noticed items in the backyard indicating the homeowners owned a dog.
“After confirming the occupants were not at home and the dog was not outside in the yard, we entered the home to search for the dog,” Golden said.
Firefighters discovered the small pet inside, and carried it to safety. Although the AFD has pet-sized oxygen masks donated by a local Girl Scout troop, it did not need to use one on the dog.
Golden said the dog received a clean bill of health after the ordeal, and was full of energy after being rescued.
Once the dog was rescued, firefighters were able to quickly extinguish the fire and contain it to the kitchen, where it originated. Oct. 3 marked the sixth time the AFD has rescued a pet from a home this year.
“Overall, the damage was minimized because we were notified quickly,” Golden said. “We hate it for the homeowners that their house was damaged, but we’re glad things turned out the way they did.”
FROM STAFF REPORTS HELENA–The Helena Beautification Board has announced the winning residence for the October Helena Beautification Award. The award... read more