Men indicted for three bank robberies

Published 1:39 pm Friday, July 27, 2018

BIRMINGHAM – A federal grand jury indicted two Jefferson County men for three bank robberies in June, U.S. Attorney Jay E. Town and FBI Special Agent in Charge Johnnie Sharp Jr. announced.

A three-count indictment filed in U.S. District Court charges Terry Lynn Forehand, 54, of Birmingham, and Derrick Terrell Bivens, 52, of Mulga, with the June 7 robbery of a BB&T Bank on Meadow Brook Road in Birmingham and the June 27 robberies of that same BB&T branch and a Regions Bank on Second Avenue Southwest in Graysville.

Each bank robbery charge carries a maximum penalty of 20 years in prison and a $250,000 fine.

The FBI investigated the case, in conjunction with the Hoover Police Department and the Jefferson County Sheriff’s Office. Assistant U.S. Attorney John J. Geer III is prosecuting the case.

Hoover police officers responded to a robbery in progress at BB&T Bank, located at 4705 Meadow Brook Road, at about 9:42 a.m. on June 27, according to HPD.

A suspect wearing a baseball cap and bandana covering his face allegedly entered the bank, jumped over the teller counter, grabbed an unknown amount of cash and attempted to leave through the front door.

One of the bank managers approached the suspect, and after a physical altercation, he dropped the money and fled into the parking lot, where he got into a vehicle driven by an accomplice and left the scene.

About 50 minutes later, the same two suspects allegedly robbed a Regions Bank in Graysville, according to police.

Shortly after the second robbery, FBI Safe Streets Task Force agents apprehended Forehand after he was dropped off at his residence in Mulga, the release stated.

Bivens was also identified and taken into custody by Jefferson County Sheriff’s Office deputies and FBI agents.

The first robbery at the BB&T Bank occurred on June 7. In that case, a suspect wearing a baseball cap and bandana entered the bank, jumped over the counter, took money out of the teller drawer and fled the area in a vehicle, which became disabled after a short pursuit, and then two suspects fled the area on foot.