Teens indicted in Alabaster robbery, chase

Published 1:43 pm Tuesday, October 30, 2018

By NEAL WAGNER / Managing Editor

COLUMBIANA – Two suspects are facing multiple felonies after a Shelby County grand jury agreed to uphold the charges against them during a recent session.

The grand jury returned multiple indictments against 18-year-old Shorter resident Ladarius Tyshun McDade and 19-year-old Montgomery resident Leecarto Jacquez Seawright during its September term, upholding charges of first-degree robbery and first-degree receiving stolen property against McDade and charges of first-degree robbery, first-degree receiving stolen property, two counts of reckless driving,  two counts of driving with a learner’s permit, failing to travel at a reasonable or prudent speed, driving on the wrong side of the road, improper passing, two counts of following too close, attempted theft of property, two counts of attempting to elude law enforcement, driving through a traffic control device, reckless endangerment, third-degree assault, failure to render aid after a crash, speeding in a construction zone and improper lane usage against Seawright.

According to court documents, the two suspects allegedly robbed a victim in the parking lot of the South Promenade shopping center in Alabaster on Feb. 13 before leading Alabaster, Pelham and Calera police officers on a high-speed, multi-city chase from Alabaster to Calera.

Police said Seawright, the alleged driver in the chase, sped onto Interstate 65 and exited the interstate on an entrance ramp before driving at a high rate of speed through downtown Calera. In Calera, Seawright allegedly hit another vehicle head-on before the two suspects exited the vehicle and fled on foot and were quickly apprehended by Calera police.

According to court documents, the vehicle Seawright allegedly struck was slammed into a storefront in downtown Calera, causing injury to the driver and damage to the store.

As of Oct. 30, Seawright was being held in the Shelby County Jail on bonds totaling $470,900, and McDade was being held in the jail on bonds totaling $450,000. Both suspects were set to appear in court for an arraignment on Oct. 30.