Montevallo Christmas Parade draws hundreds
Published 4:07 pm Monday, December 3, 2018
By EMILY SPARACINO / Staff Writer
MONTEVALLO – By 5:30 p.m. on Nov. 29, the sidewalks along Main Street were teeming with people watching the city’s Christmas tree lighting and waiting for the parade to start.
“Someone said it looked like a Hallmark movie,” Montevallo Chamber of Commerce Executive Director Steve Gilbert said of the downtown area, referencing the myriad of lights and decorations adorning buildings and lampposts.
Gilbert and local radio personality “Dollar Bill” Lawson took turns announcing parade participants and parade and window decorating competition winners.
“This year’s parade was a big success, with numerous community groups participating,” Gilbert said. “It was a great evening to be in Montevallo. Our community and its merchants have really decked the town with new decorations and lights. The parade was a great way to kick off the Christmas season.”
This year’s parade winners were:
- Best Overall – Girl Scout Troop 86
- Most Creative – McRee Fire Department
- Most Christmas Spirit – Montevallo Presbyterian Church
- Best Theme – Tractor Supply Company, Montevallo
Winners of the window decorating competition were:
- First place – Czeskleba TV
- Second place – Emma Gray
- Third place – The Type Shop
- Mayor’s Choice – McDonald’s
- Honorable Mentions – The Flower Shop and Smitherman’s Pharmacy
- People’s Choice Award – Fotowerks Custom Photography
- First place – Montevallo Boys & Girls Club
- Second place – Ummm It’s Music
- Third place – Students Today, Alumni Tomorrow