Burrus found guilty of 2016 Highland Lakes murder

Published 3:48 pm Tuesday, May 14, 2019

COLUMBIANA – A jury on Tuesday, May 14, found Adam Michael Burrus guilty of the December 2016 murder of 37-year-old Constance Leigh Woolweaver at her Highland Lakes home.


The trial of Burrus began on Monday, May 6. After the conclusion of witness testimonies and closing arguments from representatives of the Shelby County District Attorney and Burrus’ defense, the 12-person jury deliberated for about an hour before returning the verdict.

As Judge William H. Bostick III read the verdict aloud in Courtroom 5 of the Shelby County Courthouse, Burrus, in a blue sportcoat and khaki pants, dropped his head and clutched the table in front of him for support as family members moaned softly.

Bostick agreed with the prosecution’s request to revoke Burrus’ bond, citing the “heinous” nature of the crime and the “overwhelming” evidence presented in the case.

Burrus was immediately taken into custody by deputies with the Shelby County Sheriff’s Office.

A sentencing hearing was not set on May 14, and Bostick said the sentencing would follow adjudication in four to six weeks.

“Our entire office is pleased to have been able to bring justice and closure for Connie Woolweaver’s family in this case,” said Assistant District Attorney Dan McBrayer, who worked on the case with Assistant District Attorney Shaun Styers and Chief Assistant District Attorney Alan Miller.

McBrayer praised the Shelby County Sheriff’s Office for their diligent work. Among the evidence presented at the trial was the alleged murder weapon, which was recovered from Burrus’ residence, and records indicating Burrus’ mobile phone had connected with the victim’s wireless network the day of the shooting.

Burrus could face life in prison for the crime against whom police described as his friend and business partner.

He was arrested the day after the killing and pleaded not guilty in November 2017.

Shelby County Sheriff John Samaniego previously said investigators developed Burrus as a person of interest on the morning after the shooting, and contacted him at his business in Sterrett.

Burrus willingly met with investigators, who determined probable cause and procured search warrants for his home, business and vehicle.

After the searches were completed, Burrus was charged with murder and booked into the Shelby County Jail.

There was no evidence of forced entry at the victim’s residence, Samaniego said, and the victim was found near the entryway.