Home catches fire in Helena, fundraiser started to assist family
By GRAHAM BROOKS / Staff Writer
HELENA – Those in the Helena community are reaching out to help a local family in need after their home caught fire over Memorial Day weekend.
The home, located in the Helena Station neighborhood, caught fire on Sunday, May 26, where luckily no one was injured and everyone got out safely, according to a Facebook post from Helena Mayor Mark Hall.
“Just visited the owners of this home that caught fire today, everyone got out of the fire OK, but today’s high temperatures made fighting this fire extremely difficult for our Helena firemen,” the post read. “Thanks to Alabaster and Pelham fire departments for responding to assist at the Shelby County 17 Helena Station location. Firemen were also able to help save a pet. I have to brag on the Helena Station Neighborhood, they were already assisting and contributing funds for immediate needs that the homeowners may have.”
A Gofundme page was started to help assist the family with a variety of needs. The fundraiser was started for those to give monetary donations to help the family but in addition, the page asks that those donating also take the time to show appreciation to the Helena Fire Department.
“HFD has been out here at least five times since putting out the fire to check on the house and smoldering or to put out flames that came up from hot spots,” the Gofundme page read. “It has been so incredibly hot and they have done a great job despite the heat. Verbally thank them, have the kids draw them a picture or take them a snack basket – just let them know how much we appreciate their taking care of these scary situations for us.”
To help donate to the family, visit Gofundme.com/helena-station-house-fire.
By GRAHAM BROOKS / Staff Writer HELENA – Those living in the Helena community now have something they can enjoy... read more