PPD to take action against student who threatened violence at PPMS

Published 12:58 pm Wednesday, August 28, 2019

PELHAM – Pelham police officers are in touch with the county’s juvenile court system to determine what action will be taken in regard to a Pelham Park Middle School student who made a threat of violence against the school on Monday, Aug. 26.

Although the threat was determined not to be credible by the Pelham Police Department, Interim Police Chief Pat Cheatwood the department still takes the case very seriously.

“Please rest assured that we’re going to do everything we can to prosecute this case, and any other case involving school violence, to the fullest extent of the law,” Cheatwood said.

Pelham City Schools Communications Manager Nicole Knight said the school system cannot disclose disciplinary action related to a specific student. However, Knight said students of any age who are involved in “disseminating intentional threats will be subject to rigorous disciplinary action as outlined in the system’s Code of Conduct,” in addition to the possibility of other legal and criminal consequences.

After being made aware of the threat, Cheatwood said investigators immediately began working numerous leads, and within four hours, were able to determine the threat was not credible. Cheatwood said the threat was made by a student and that there are no other threats that the PPD is aware of. He challenged parents to talk with their kids on a daily basis and monitor their social media activity.

“Talk to them about their school life and any bullying issues or any violence issues at all,” Cheatwood said. “Just talk to them daily and find out how school is going. If there’s anything that law enforcement needs to know, please give us a call. That’s what we’re here for.”

He commended the PPD investigators who took on the case and were able to bring closure to it. He also thanked the Shelby County Sheriff’s Office and the Jefferson County Sheriff’s Office’s Metro Area Crime Center for its assistance.

The PPD has increased patrols at each of the district’s school in the days following the threat.