Chamber presents annual Diamond Awards
Published 11:43 am Friday, November 8, 2019
COLUMBIANA – The Shelby County Chamber’s annual Diamond Awards were presented on Thursday, Nov. 7, honoring a local resident, public servant and non-profit organization.
Top honors went to Jamia Alexander-Williams, Citizen of the Year; Robbie Hayes, Public Servant of the Year; and SafeHouse of Shelby County, Non-Profit of the Year.
Awards were presented during the Chamber’s Connections Luncheon, which was held at Columbiana First Baptist Church and sponsored by Shelby County Newspapers.
Alexander-Williams is a member of the Alabaster City Schools Board of Education and is president of the Angel Warriors Foundation.
Hayes represents District 9 on the Shelby County Commission.
SafeHouse, under Executive Director Dotti Bailey, provides advocacy and support for those seeking services related to domestic violence.
Nominees in each of the three categories were evaluated on the same criteria:
- How the organization or individual has made a positive difference in the county or a specific municipality.
- Significant accomplishments achieved by the organization or individual.
- How the organization or individual has improved the county or a specific municipality.
In order to qualify, the nominated organization or individual needed to either operate in Shelby County, work in the county or live in the county.
The full list of people and businesses nominated for the awards includes:
Citizen of the Year
- Jamia Alexander-Williams
- Ron Howard
Public Servant of the Year
- Lindsey Allison, Shelby County commissioner District 7
- Pari Barzegari, manager of community and career development with The Shelby County Chamber
- Robbie Hayes, Shelby County commissioner District 9
- Jane Ann Mueller, community center programs director with the city of Chelsea
- Yvonne Murray, managing director with 58 INC.
- Lamar Vick, police chief with the city of Columbiana
- Melody Whitten, development director with 58 INC.
Non-Profit Organization of the Year
- Alabama Wildlife Center
- Big Brothers Big Sisters of Greater Birmingham, Shelby County Office
- Family Connections, Inc.
- The Foundry Ministries
- Grace Klein Community
- Hatching Hope
- Jesus Works
- Leadership Shelby County
- SafeHouse of Shelby County
- Shelby County Schools Education Foundation