Staying fit in Pelham
Published 12:21 pm Monday, February 10, 2020
By BECKY J. BEALL/Pelham Community Column
Raise your hand if fitness, health and wellness, walking or any other commitment to enhancing well-being are part of your 2020 resolutions.
With the coming of each new year, many folks pause and take inventory of the previous 12 months and re-evaluate important aspects like health, career, time management and finances.
Carving out time for fitness always falls near the top of that list, and for Pelham residents, there are nice options to promote wellness, and they are cheaper than you might think.
The Pelham Recreation Center opened in 2018 offering residents, Pelham business owners and their employees (over the age of 19) an affordable rate of $10/month for a single ($100/year), $20/month for a family ($200/year) and $200/year for a corporate membership.
The facility features state-of-the-art exercise equipment (including weights and cardio), a gymnasium, an indoor walking track and a myriad of classes ranging from ballroom dancing and yoga to Zumba, Rev + Flow, Refit and more. Additionally, guests will find locker rooms, a conference room and a multipurpose room.
Right across the road from the rec center, there is a playground for the kiddos and an outdoor walking track that circles the baseball fields for free fitness options. Many folks take advantage of these city amenities year-round to help keep their families moving rather than hanging out on the sofa.
A few things to keep in mind are:
- Fitness classes are available for a fee to both members of the Rec Center and non-members.
- Children under 14 must have adult supervision while in the center and using exercise equipment.
- Hours are Sunday 1-6 p.m.; Monday-Thursday 7 a.m.-9 p.m.; Friday 7 a.m.-8 p.m.; and Saturday 7 a.m.-6 p.m.
- The Center offers non-exercise classes from time to time, like sign language currently underway. A monthly calendar of offerings is online.
- For additional information, check out the website at pelhamalabama.gov under Parks and Recreation or give them a call at 205-620-6426.
The Recreation Center is located on Ballpark Road beside Pelham Park Middle School and just down from the Pelham Public Library. Drop in and look around. You’re going to like what you see!
Membership fees as listed on the website and are subject to change. Please verify through the Recreation Center if interested.