Pelham declares State of Emergency to combat COVID-19
FROM STAFF REPORTS
PELHAM – The Pelham City Council declared a State of Emergency for the City of Pelham in regard to the COVID-19 pandemic at the March 16, 2020 Council Meeting via Resolution 2020-03-16-08.
This declaration directs the mayor and city manager to coordinate with appropriate city departments to take measures to safeguard the well-being, safety and health of its employees and the general public, such actions to be reported back to the City Council at its next regularly scheduled meeting following such action.
The Pelham City Council amended the FY2020 General Fund – Administration Budget in the amount of $1,000,000.00 as an emergency response to the COVID-19 pandemic and authoring the expenditure of said funds for measures to safeguard the well-being, safety and health of its employees and the general public, such actions to be reported back to the City Council at its next regularly scheduled meeting following such actions.
Per a directive from Mayor Gary W. Waters and in accordance with the State of Emergency Declaration issued Monday, March 16, 2020 by the Pelham City Council:
- Pelham Water Works will stop all water shutoffs until further notice
- Membership dues at Ballantrae Golf Club, Pelham Recreation Center and Pelham Racquet Club are suspended until further notice
As a continued precautionary measure, and in keeping with the national public health recommendations for group gatherings and social distancing due to concerns surrounding COVID–19:
- All water payments will be accepted two ways: via online at Pelhamalabama.gov and at the drive thru window located in the Pelham Water Works Building, 3111 Cummings Street, Pelham, AL 35124. Other water concerns can be addressed via phone at 205.620.6420 and at the drive thru window.
- All business permits/licenses payments MUST be made through the mail, City of Pelham, P O Box 1238, Pelham, Alabama 35124.
- All building plan submittals will be handled in the lobby of the Pelham Water Works building. Prior to plan submittal, please make sure you include all required documents. For the public’s convenience, the list of required documentation can be found at pelhamalabama.gov.
- To file a police report (non-emergency), call 205.620.6650. Information will be routed to the appropriate officer.
- All city parks are closed to the public effective March 19, 2020:
- Dog Park
- Fungo Holler Park
- Playground at Coker Park
- Pelham City Park Facilities
- Basketball Courts
- Sand Volleyball Courts
- All Municipal Court docket proceedings from March 16th thru April 16th will be postponed. Please contact the Court office at 205.620.6407 to reschedule your court date. The Court Magistrate window is open for regular business normal business hours. The Court encourages payments be paid thru the mail with a cashier’s check or money order made payable to Pelham Municipal Court. Mail to Pelham Municipal Court, P.O. Box 1419, Pelham, Alabama 35124. If the Judge has allowed partial payments on your case the Court will accept phone payments at 205.620.6407.
All city public service and first responders are fully staffed and ready to respond to the needs of the residents. The city has formed an Emergency Operations Center to address the needs of the employees, residents and businesses during this time.
City officials will continue to work with the State and County Departments of Public Health and other partner agencies to ensure appropriate measures are taken to ensure the highest level of safety for our residents and businesses.
We will continuously evaluate the status of COVID-19 and communicate information regarding the re-opening of facilities and the resumption of programs. Please visit our website for the latest information on closings. If you have questions regarding the City’s response to Covid-19, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. This email account is monitored between 8:00 am and 5:00 pm.