Hoover City Schools shares graduation plans for Class of 2020
Published 6:05 pm Tuesday, May 12, 2020
FROM STAFF REPORTS
HOOVER – Hoover City Schools will hold graduation ceremonies for the Class of 2020 on May 20 and May 21.
The ceremonies for both of HCS’s high schools will be socially-distanced, limited public gatherings held at the Hoover Metropolitan Complex, located at 100 Ben Chapman Drive.
Spain Park High School’s ceremony will be Wednesday, May 20, at 7 p.m.
Hoover High School’s ceremony will be Thursday, May 21, at 7 p.m.
For both ceremonies, graduates and their families should note the following:
- Each graduate will be given four tickets for guests. Tickets will be required for entry.
- Graduates should arrive at 6 p.m. and park in the lot designated “student parking,” or be dropped off at the main gate.
- Gates will be open at 5:30 p.m. for attendees with ambulatory needs.
- Other attendees (general family/friends) will be allowed into the stadium at 6 p.m.
- Graduation practice, cap/gown and ticket information have been emailed to all graduates and parents.
For the safety of all involved, HCS urges everyone to adhere to the following:
- Please do not attend graduation ceremonies if you have a fever or other symptoms of COVID-19 including cough, shortness of breath or difficulty breathing, and/or new loss of taste or smell. Those with compromised immune systems should not attend graduation ceremonies.
- If you are reluctant or concerned about attending graduation, this is completely understandable, as each must make the best choice for one’s self and family.
- Graduation ceremony is a choice, and students may choose not to attend. Each senior’s name will be called regardless of attendance with his/her name highlighted on the jumbotron. Each senior will be listed in the program with honors noted; all seniors will receive a program.
- We are limiting seniors to four guests so people can social distance in the stadium.
- Seniors will be 6 feet apart at all times. This includes sitting in the bleachers and standing in line to get their diplomas.
- We will ask that all attendees wear a mask; this is highly encouraged.
- Graduates will be required to wear a mask (they may briefly remove the mask when coming on stage for diploma/photo). HCS will provide a KN95 mask for each graduate to wear.
- Students will enter the stadium through a separate entrance. Three other gates will be open for family and friends. The event staff, school district staff and HPD will be onsite to support and assist attendees. Six feet markings will be on the sidewalk to assist in social distancing.
- Family members will be asked to sit 6 feet apart from other guests.
- Everyone will be encouraged to immediately return to their vehicles at the conclusion of the ceremony without gathering on the field, in stands or in the parking lot.
- Graduation ceremony will be livestreamed. Livestream link will be shared with seniors and their parents prior to the event.
•Please be patient as this is a new way of thinking about and conducting graduation. HCS needs everyone’s full cooperation to make this a memorable and positive event for the seniors.