Pelham BOE re-elects officers, approves project bids
Published 8:28 am Wednesday, May 20, 2020
PELHAM – The Pelham Board of Education elected officers and approved bids for spring fieldhouse renovations and a road project at Pelham High School during a regular meeting on Monday, May 18.
Rick Rhoades was re-elected as president of the board, and Angie Hester was re-elected vice president.
“It’s a great opportunity we have to serve our community,” Rhoades said. “I’m very respectful of the confidence that’s been placed in both Angie and myself. We’re going to do what’s best for our children, our teachers and our community.”
Hester also thanked the board for re-electing her to office.
“I appreciate your support and confidence in me,” Hester said.
In new business, the board awarded a $201,151 bid to Williford Orman Construction for Pelham High School spring fieldhouse renovations.
The renovations are set to start as soon as possible and will enhance the facility, Pelham City Schools Superintendent Dr. Scott Coefield said.
The board also awarded a $856,200 bid to Williford Orman Construction for a road project that will address improvements to Panther Circle, which goes around the Pelham High School campus.
The road project, like the fieldhouse renovations, is set to start as soon as possible.
Both projects will be paid for with funds designated by the state as capital project money, which is separate from the board’s general fund, Coefield said.
The board also:
- Approved an agreement with Harris School Solutions for hosting services, subject to final review and approval of the superintendent or chief financial officer.
- Approved a contract with Elizabeth Johnson Myers to provide interpreting services.
- Approved a contract with Misty Powell to provide physical therapy services.
- Approved 28 personnel recommendations.
- Heard Coefield received a composite score of 4.86 out of 5 on his superintendent evaluation.
- Heard a reminder that Pelham High School’s graduation ceremony on Thursday, May 21, at 6 p.m. will be live-streamed on YouTube at Youtube.com/watch?v=SnE02Gujf9E&feature=youtu.be.