City Council awards bid for Abby Wooley Park improvements
ALABASTER – The Alabaster City Council at its meeting on Monday, June 15, approved expenses related to improvements at Abby Wooley Park.
First, a bid was awarded to Coston General Contractors Inc. for renovations, including construction of a restroom and new pavilion roof. The bid of $279,554 was the lowest bid received for the project.
The project was included in the budget for the city’s 2020 Capital Plan.
Also approved was a resolution to grant a utility easement to Alabama Power to provide power to the restrooms at Abby Wooley Park, and a resolution regarding lighting at the park.
“Abby Wooley Park is being renovated and is in need of new LED area and flood lighting for the park,” the resolution reads. “The City Council has determined that it is both wise and expedient to enter into a lighting agreement with Alabama Power Company for the power and maintenance of lighting for the safety and welfare of the citizens of Alabaster.”
Under the agreement, Alabama Power will install seven new LED area and flood lights in the park, and the city will pay the estimated $182 monthly service charge from its General Fund.
In other business, the Council:
- Heard a proclamation from Mayor Marty Handlon declaring June 19 as Juneteenth Celebration Day in the city. Juneteenth is nationally recognized as National Freedom Day, commemorating the abolition of sanctioned slavery in the United States.
- Approved a resolution agreeing to a memorandum of understanding with Brookwood Baptist Health – Shelby Baptist Medical Center and Angel Warriors Foundation to provide a health fair. The health fair will be Aug. 7-9 at Thompson High School, Warrior Arena and the adjacent outdoors area and parking lot.
- Approved a resolution for a lighting agreement with Alabama Power for the Enclave at Cedar Grove. Alabama Power will install 15 new LED street lights, and the city will be responsible to pay the estimated $202.80 monthly service expense.
- Awarded Pump & Process Equipment Inc. with a bid for wastewater pumps and control panels.
- Approved authorization for Handlon to purchase aluminum handrail and ladders for use in the waste water treatment plant, for a total cost of $37,960 from Thompson Fabricating LLC.
- Approved a resolution to grant utility easement to the Alabaster Water Board for water line relocation related to the new police department.
Following consultation with Board of Trustees leadership, University of Montevallo President Dr. John W. Stewart III has appointed 11 Montevallo... read more