City of Montevallo announces parade and window decorating contest winners
Published 10:10 am Monday, December 12, 2022
By NOAH WORTHAM | Staff Writer
MONTEVALLO – Montevallo’s downtown has been decorated to mirror the front of a Christmas card, making it a perfect holiday backdrop for the city’s annual holiday festivities.
The city began the holiday season with the county’s first Christmas parade on Thursday, Dec. 1.
Local residents lined main street for the annual parade and tree lighting. MC’s Dollar Bill and Steve Gilbert started off the evening with Christmas tunes.
Tree lighting was conducted this year by longtime business owners, Stan and Jo Dawson.
This year’s parade had more than 70+ entrants, according to an official press release by the Montevallo Chamber of Commerce.
This year’s Montevallo Christmas Parade Grand Marshall was Walt Czeskleba.
“I would like to thank the Montevallo Chamber of Commerce for having me as the grand marshal for the 2022 Christmas parade,” Czeskleba said. “It was an honor to me. I would like to thank Adele Nelson and her crew for all of the hard work they did. I would like to thank Casie Nathews for the car and Josh Smitherman for driving me in the parade.”
According to Montevallo Chamber Executive Director Adele Nelson, the head parade lineup coordinator described this year’s parade as “Another great Christmas parade.”
The city also held a window decorating competition and the results were announced by Montevallo Main Street Executive Director Courtney Bennett.
Merchant winners included:
- The Flower Shop, first place
- Trustmark Bank, second place
- Bradford Real Estate Group, third place
- Smithermman’s Pharmacy, Mayor’s Choice
- JP Building Company, People’s Choice
The student group winners included:
- UM American Sign Language Club, first place
- Montevallo Presbyterian Church Youth, second place
- Montevallo Junior City Council, third place;
- MHS Future Farmers of America, Junior Mayor’s Choice
- UM Future Alumni of Montevallo, People’s Choice
The 2022 Montevallo parade trophy winners were as follows:
- Most Creative – Moore Brothers Automotive
- Most Christmas Spirit – Alabama Public Television
- Best Theme – Montevallo High School Wrestling Team
- Best Overall – St. Thomas Catholic Church