Pelham approves plan for youth NHL and NFL Flag Football leagues
Published 5:11 pm Tuesday, November 21, 2023
By BARTON PERKINS | Staff Writer
PELHAM – The city of Pelham officially entered contracts with RCX Sports, LLC for the right to operate both a NFL Flag Football and a NHL Street hockey programs for local youth at a regularly scheduled city council meeting on Monday, Nov. 20.
The possibility of creating these teams was previously discussed at a prior work session on Monday, Nov. 6.
Both the NFL Flag Football and the NHL Street Hockey program would be youth leagues geared towards kids ages five to 13, and each team in the league will have NFL and NHL connections and logos on their respective equipment. Pelham will be one of only two cities in Alabama to have these leagues.
While the two new youth teams have been approved, no other plans have been announced at this time.
After the resolution was passed to officially enter contracts with RCX Sport, the city council then listened to a public hearing from business owner Ammar Alsabahi who is applying for a conditional use permit for a CBD, vape, alternative health and wellness store where Cahaba Cycles was previously located on Pelham Parkway.
No formal decisions were made, and the city council decided to continue considerations of Alsabahi’s request at a future meeting. In other news, the Pelham City Council also approved the following items on the agenda:
- The designation of the city of Pelham as a Bee City USA affiliate.
- The approval of pay grades and changes to the job title for the position of Groundskeeper at Ballantrae Golf.
- Approval of the low bid and Notice of Award to JTL Golf, LLC for cart path and Bunker improvements at Ballantrae Golf Club and the amendments to the FY2024 Ballantrae Golf Club’s Project Budget.
- An agreement with the Shelby County Park and Recreational Authority to install conduit for the Campus No. 124 park project, to approve a quote from Alabama Power Company to install overhead to underground electrical service to the Campus No. 124 power meter, and to amend the FY2024 Campus No. 124 Project Budget to complete the park development.
- Approval of an agreement with the Shelby County Park and Recreational Authority for site preparation for the City Park Playground Project.