Asbury Giggles and Grace spring consignment sale set for Feb. 9-10

Published 5:20 pm Wednesday, January 3, 2024

By EMILY SPARACINO | Special to the Reporter

NORTH SHELBY – Preparations are in progress for Asbury United Methodist Church’s next children’s consignment sale.

Consignor and volunteer registration has opened for the Giggles and Grace Spring 2024 Sale, which will be held Friday, Feb. 9 and Saturday, Feb. 10.

“2024 is the 17th year Asbury will host Giggles and Grace,” Giggles and Grace Publicity Chair Amber Dillard said. “We’ve been blessed to watch this ministry grow over the years from the outpouring of generosity from our consigners and volunteers, and we’ve been able to serve the Birmingham community in a multitude of ways each and every sale.”

The sale features gently-used children’s and youth clothes (newborn through youth size 16), along with shoes, toys, books, puzzles, games, baby furniture, dance and athletic wear and many other items. Select items will be half-price on Saturday.

Anyone wishing to be a consignor can register for the Spring 2024 sale until Tuesday, Feb. 6. If consignor spots fill up, a waiting list will open.

For the spring sale, organizers are asking consignors to contribute spring and summer clothing only. Items that will not be accepted include sweaters, jackets, coats, heavy long-sleeved shirts or dresses, boots and Halloween costumes (those can be saved for the fall sale).

In addition, organizers will accept as many as 10 pairs of jeans and pants, along with swimsuits and cover-ups. All guidelines can be found at Asburygigglesandgrace.com/services/tag-creation.

Since Giggles and Grace is a completely volunteer-run sale, registration for anyone who is willing to help work the sale will remain open.

“As volunteers are so precious to us, we do not have a deadline for anyone who wants to come help,” Dillard said. “Popular times do fill up quickly, but we always work hard to find a time for those who want to volunteer.”

Volunteers can register at Asburygigglesandgrace.com/services/volunteers.

“As a thank you, we give our volunteers early access to shop on Thursday before the sale starts (timing depends on the number of hours being volunteered),” Dillard said. “In 2023, adults and youth volunteered more than 2,000 hours between the two sales.”

Out of each item sold, 75 percent goes back to the consignor, and the remaining 25 percent goes to the Asbury UMC Youth and Children Ministries.

“In 2023 we raised more than $78,000 to donate from the proceeds,” Dillard said. “Consigners also have the option to donate any unsold items at the end of the sale. We collect the unsold items and distribute them to our Birmingham area mission partners, which in 2023 included Sozo Children, Make-A-Wish, Shelby County Foster Parent Association, Oak Mountain Missions, Garrett’s Place, Grace Klein, Trinity UMC Foster Closet, Reach Out and Read Book Drive and King’s Home.”

Asbury also collects canned goods and non-perishable items for its food pantry at every sale from any consignors, volunteers and shoppers who wish to donate, Dillard said.

In 2023, Giggles and Grace distributed more than 170 42-gallon bags of items to missions partners because of the generous donations from consignors, according to Dillard.

“In addition, we offer shopping coupons for those who need help providing for their children,” Dillard said. “In 2023, we were able to help 172 families with $23,000 worth of shopping coupons.”

English and Spanish versions of the application form are available at Asburygigglesandgrace.com/services/missions.

For more information about Giggles and Grace, visit Asburygigglesandgrace.com or follow @asburygigglesandgrace on Facebook and Instagram.