Proof of residence days continue for Pelham City Schools

Published 4:40 pm Tuesday, July 9, 2024

Getting your Trinity Audio player ready...

By DONALD MOTTERN | Staff Writer

PELHAM – As the first day of the new school year approaches, parents and guardians in Pelham are reminded to set aside time to fulfill one of the primary requirements related to registering their students.

“We’ve had a busy summer with summer camps, professional development, planning and projects,” said Nicole Knight, director of communications for Pelham City Schools. “Now, we’re just four weeks away from the first day of school for students, and we’re working on our final preparations for the new school year. Our proof of residence days are taking place this week and next week.”

Before student registration can be completed, parents and guardians are required to submit or present two documents that verify that the family and student reside within the school district. This process ensures compliance with district policies and is mandatory for all returning students as well new incoming students.

For parents and legal guardians who have new students coming into the school system, or for those who did not receive emails in June relating to returning student registration, there will be three remaining days where they can bring documentation in-person.

Those days and locations are:

  •  Thursday, July 11 at Pelham Ridge Elementary from 7-11 a.m.
  •  Tuesday, July 16 at Pelham Park Middle School from 2-6 p.m.
  •  Thursday, July 18 at Pelham Ridge Elementary from 7-11 a.m.

“This is an important step in our student registration process each year, and parents may choose any date and school to complete this step, no matter which school(s) your student(s) attend,” Knight said.

Presented documents must include the parent or guardian’s name and address and may include the following items:

  •  Current lease agreements that list the occupants
  •  Receipts for rent or house payments that include the address
  •  Current U.S. government communications regarding social security, income tax, etc. that include address
  •  Property deeds of the full-residence of the parent or legal guardian
  •  Current vehicle registrations and car tags
  •  Current home owner’s or renter’s insurance policy

A current utility bill or utility deposit receipt that displays the parent or legal guardian’s name and address is also among the acceptable documents that may be provided. However, disconnect notices will not be accepted.

If a parent or guardian chooses to use current utility bills or deposit receipts, two different utility bills or receipts from the following entities are acceptable.

  •  Alabama Power
  •  Pelham Water
  •  Spire
  •  Internet and cable providers
  •  Southwest Water
  •  Shelby County Water
  •  Huntley, Green Park or Grand Reserve utility statements